Technical Help clutch problem

Currently reading:
Technical Help clutch problem

bradburypizza

My daughters car has problems please help

1-6 16v clutch pedal has dropped to the floor any ideas and how to fix would be good.

release bearing gone-most likely
clutch diaphram fingers worn through
release fork has broken
so if its the top two which i believe it to be then new clutch kit.

It'll be the clutch/brake hydraulics (they're combined in the Stilo). So check the fluid and make sure you simply havent got low on fluid but there'll be reason why the fluid has gone!

slave 3.JPG
So you need to look for leaks, either in the clutch hydraulics (slave cylinder is common- on top the gearbox-look in Stilo Guides for bleeding clutch slave cylinder)

Or it's even possible to have a leak in the brake hydraulics and when the fluid gets too low the clutch is the first to give out and clutch pedal goes straight to the floor

The clutch pedal has no return spring and is pushed back up purely by the clutch hydraulics. Bit of a pain as you may need to drag the pedal back up again for the master cylinder, to refill with fluid

Last edited:
Yey I have the exact same problem. had to wrestle the damn clutch less car home as well.
Fortunately shes going into the garage to have her head gasket done. more unfortunately is that this is going to add a bit more cash to the already pricey looking repair bill.

Any idea how much I should be paying for the two?

Shouldn’t be much - clutch hydraulics are external on 1.2 (outside of the gearbox) easy to see and to change) unless the fork itself has to be changed (i’d a advise a new clutch too) in which case not less than about £250 (and likely to be a lot more) good luck :)

It's a 1.6 though it seems to be loosing hydraulic fluid from somewhere up above the clutch housing which is dripping down onto the housing?

Its the same on the 1.6 just like the 1.2 just as 12x or as I know him now Dr.Max has told you..:p on the 1.6 its more concealed than the 1.2 but is still more or less in the same place as the 1.2..

Your looking for this little chappy..

2026613-1.jpg

spot on buddy. Just been and had a look under the bonnet and got my brother to press the clutch pedal. Slave cylinder is chucking out fluid so just need a new one of them by the looks of it!

spot on buddy.

Thankyou for that useful post..:p..now when you come to change it please have a look if the connecting hose is made of the same rubber material that you would find on the brake side of things..ie brake hose.. never done it because I never had a leaking slave but have a look to see if its possible to use a brake hose clamp on the hose going to the slave to stem the flow of fluid when you disconnect the hose from the slave..fiat say pull the pin 1a in my diagram to release the hose and await Noah's flood..:eek: the fluid will drain from the master cylinder and will also affect the brakes..so just try clamping the hose to the slave just to see if its possible to do it this way before you do it the hard way..:bang:..might save you a lot of aggro in the long run if doable..:chin:

Back