Hello, and, please help!!

Currently reading:
Hello, and, please help!!

Sarah41

Hello! Hope everyone’s enjoying the sunny bank holiday weekend? I have a 2008 1.3 500, she’s been out of action since February. One day she just wouldn’t start, discovered a knackered fuel injector, replaced all four (ouch💰) Then the fuel rail sprang a leak, ouch, again! She would run but sounded like a bucket of spanners whilst smoking really badly. So, glow plugs were replaced, one of which broke, again arghhh💰. Discovered that the exhaust pipe, flexi woven part near the front had a hole in it, that’s been replaced. Took the dpf off and followed instructions for cleaning with Winns. All back together and now she won’t start at all. I am at my wits end, any advice or ideas most gratefully received, Sara x

Hello! Hope everyone’s enjoying the sunny bank holiday weekend? I have a 2008 1.3 500, she’s been out of action since February. One day she just wouldn’t start, discovered a knackered fuel injector, replaced all four (ouch💰) Then the fuel rail sprang a leak, ouch, again! She would run but sounded like a bucket of spanners whilst smoking really badly. So, glow plugs were replaced, one of which broke, again arghhh💰. Discovered that the exhaust pipe, flexi woven part near the front had a hole in it, that’s been replaced. Took the dpf off and followed instructions for cleaning with Winns. All back together and now she won’t start at all. I am at my wits end, any advice or ideas most gratefully received, Sara x

Hi Sara and welcome :)

That seems to have been quite an ordeal
:(

What happened when this first started.. harder to start in cold weather..? What was it like the previous Winter ??

Not much multijet traffic on the 500 section here.. but plenty of MJ experience on the forum

Youve swapped a lot of parts... starting to sound like the actual fault has not changed :-(

Please tell us more :)

Assume all DPF pipes and pressure sensors properly refitted?
No fuel leaks or air getting into fuel system?
Any error codes read?
Re noise and smell, I assume no leaks between new injectors and cylinder head?
Any fuel leaks around injectors or common rail and pipes etc.?
Note don't test with hand as extremely high pressure and what may look like a mist of spray is actually at several thousand psi of pressure and can cause serious harm!!!

Last edited:
Hi Sara and welcome :)

That seems to have been quite an ordeal
:(

What happened when this first started.. harder to start in cold weather..? What was it like the previous Winter ??

Not much multijet traffic on the 500 section here.. but plenty of MJ experience on the forum

Youve swapped a lot of parts... starting to sound like the actual fault has not changed :-(

Please tell us more :)
Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply! I was having intermittent acceleration problems, until one day she just stopped. I was doing a lot of motorway driving, so not a short journeys only problem I’d have thought. When I found the leaking injector I thought that was the issue, just feels like chasing my tail and getting no where. A friend has suggested replacing the DPF, as the engine now wants to run but sounds as though it’s choked.

Back