General Heater takes for ever to heat up.

Currently reading:
General Heater takes for ever to heat up.

Pagey

Hi all
I have bought my daughter a 2012 500 Lounge and the heater takes ages to get any heat through and never gets hot hot, we are in the UK and it isn't even cold yet!
I have read lots of threads about this but wandered if anyone has replaced the thermostat and found an improvement??.... Before I waste my time and money replacing it! 🤑
Thanks
Neil

Hi :)

Yes - people will have..
BUT have you felt the hoses to see if the thermostat is the problem

If the stat is working properly:

The ENGINE should build heat for a few minutes
THEN the thermostat will open

Petrols warm quickly and thermostats are cheap

Diesels take longer.. and thermostats are Double the price

Hi Neil. The symptoms you describe are indicative of a failed thermostat. As Charlie says above, start the engine from cold and wrap your hand round the top radiator hose. You shouldn't notice much heat developing in it for a while because the thermostat should be closed, could be up to 5 minutes if it's a cold day? Then, all of a sudden, the thermostat will open (most open around 90 degrees C). The hose should get very hot very suddenly, you should not notice a slow steady climb in temperature. This is because when the engine is cold the thermostat should be shut which stops the water being able to circulate through the radiator - it will still circulate through the heater though. So, if the thermostat has failed open - as they often do - (or it's internal rubber seal has failed) the water will circulate through the radiator right from the moment you start the engine, this results in the engine trying to heat up a much larger volume of coolant so the heater takes ages to warm up and, because there is no temperature control of the circulating coolant, it'll be unlikely to achieve a "proper" running temperature so the heater never gets really hot.

It's a common thing to happen, not just on our wee FIATs but on many makes of cars. The thermostat leads a hard life as once it has opened it is constantly shuttling around slightly opening wider and then slightly closing down ad infinitum so as to try to maintain a constant hot running temperature for the engine - very important with the fine control which modern electronics apply to the engine.

There are other things which just might be causing this, are you hearing "gurgling" noises from behind the dashboard? that could be an airlock. Have you checked the header tank for the radiator? is it up to the mark? Any obvious signs of leaks? However, from your symptoms it's most likely to be the thermostat. I've replaced the ones in our own Panda (2010 1.2) - which was struggling to reach the quarter mark, and my boy's Punto (2012 1.4) very similar petrol engines in both. The job was pretty easy although there are a few bits and pieces to move out of the way for access.

I made this post when I changed the thermostat on Becky (our Panda) https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-panda-today.436409/page-64#post-4581167 She has the earlier type thermostat which is a bit cheaper. The newer engines have a housing which includes the take off stub for the heater and the water temperature sensor. If your's has the later type it's worth looking for a replacement which has a metal heater take off pipe. Many are plastic and people on here report that they tend to fail with age.

Hi :)

Yes - people will have..
BUT have you felt the hoses to see if the thermostat is the problem

If the stat is working properly:

The ENGINE should build heat for a few minutes
THEN the thermostat will open

Petrols warm quickly and thermostats are cheap

Diesels take longer.. and thermostats are Double the price
Thanks for the reply. That's was my plan today but it is veryyyy wet here so will check hoses later.

Hi Neil. The symptoms you describe are indicative of a failed thermostat. As Charlie says above, start the engine from cold and wrap your hand round the top radiator hose. You shouldn't notice much heat developing in it for a while because the thermostat should be closed, could be up to 5 minutes if it's a cold day? Then, all of a sudden, the thermostat will open (most open around 90 degrees C). The hose should get very hot very suddenly, you should not notice a slow steady climb in temperature. This is because when the engine is cold the thermostat should be shut which stops the water being able to circulate through the radiator - it will still circulate through the heater though. So, if the thermostat has failed open - as they often do - (or it's internal rubber seal has failed) the water will circulate through the radiator right from the moment you start the engine, this results in the engine trying to heat up a much larger volume of coolant so the heater takes ages to warm up and, because there is no temperature control of the circulating coolant, it'll be unlikely to achieve a "proper" running temperature so the heater never gets really hot.

It's a common thing to happen, not just on our wee FIATs but on many makes of cars. The thermostat leads a hard life as once it has opened it is constantly shuttling around slightly opening wider and then slightly closing down ad infinitum so as to try to maintain a constant hot running temperature for the engine - very important with the fine control which modern electronics apply to the engine.

There are other things which just might be causing this, are you hearing "gurgling" noises from behind the dashboard? that could be an airlock. Have you checked the header tank for the radiator? is it up to the mark? Any obvious signs of leaks? However, from your symptoms it's most likely to be the thermostat. I've replaced the ones in our own Panda (2010 1.2) - which was struggling to reach the quarter mark, and my boy's Punto (2012 1.4) very similar petrol engines in both. The job was pretty easy although there are a few bits and pieces to move out of the way for access.

I made this post when I changed the thermostat on Becky (our Panda) https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-panda-today.436409/page-64#post-4581167 She has the earlier type thermostat which is a bit cheaper. The newer engines have a housing which includes the take off stub for the heater and the water temperature sensor. If your's has the later type it's worth looking for a replacement which has a metal heater take off pipe. Many are plastic and people on here report that they tend to fail with age.
Thank you for reply. Ours is a newer engine so housing it is! 🙄

Also worth looking at the cars temperature gauge

Does it climb steadily to 'mid.way' and stay there?
In colder weather you might see the needle drop going downhill.. as the motor generates less heat
Yes the temp gauge seems to be working fine. 👍

Before you do anything check there's enough water in the system it's critical it's full low level can cause poor heater performance, lack of coolant is the cars achilles heel.
You may need to bleed the heater hose if there's air in it too.
Does the car have climate control or manual AC controls?

Last edited:
Before you do anything check there's enough water in the system it's critical it's full low level can cause poor heater performance, lack of coolant is the cars achilles heel.
You may need to bleed the heater hose if there's air in it too.
Does the car have climate control or manual AC controls?
Yes water level is as it should be. No climate, manual AC

Then I would replace the thermostat, note I would also leave the ac ALWAYS ON just something I've done for the last 30+ years of driving a car with ac it also helps in winter defrosting the car.
Buy a quality branded thermostat

Last edited:
I use the ac all the time as well. 👍
Maybe I am expecting too much from the car as every other car I have ever owned, which is, after 35 years of driving, is a lot if cars, they have all had much better heaters Inc 80s vauxhall's, 😁

I use the ac all the time as well. 👍
Maybe I am expecting too much from the car as every other car I have ever owned, which is, after 35 years of driving, is a lot if cars, they have all had much better heaters Inc 80s vauxhall's, 😁
Ours heats up reasonably quickly fast than our 2l mazda but is up to temp after say 3 miles

Also worth looking at the cars temperature gauge

Does it climb steadily to 'mid.way' and stay there?
In colder weather you might see the needle drop going downhill.. as the motor generates less heat
Just picked my daughter and it did drop off half a bar going down hill

Yes.. temp dropping means the Stat isnt sealing properly

I bought an AllMetal stat for my 2018 500

Around 6 weeks ago..

Not an expensive purchase :)
20220914_164414.jpg
20220914_164450.jpg

Ok.... Just went for a 20 mile run, on return did the hose temp touch test and the rad hose is hot, the bottom matrix hose is hot but the top matrix hose is only warm... Partially blocked Matrix??? Or still a stat problem?? 🤔

Ok.... Just went for a 20 mile run, on return did the hose temp touch test and the rad hose is hot, the bottom matrix hose is hot but the top matrix hose is only warm... Partially blocked Matrix??? Or still a stat problem?? 🤔
So its the bottom rad hose you need to see if its hot, the circulation through the matrix is constant, have you checked the bleed valve in the heater hose near the bulkhead to see if air in system? flow through matrix bypasses thermostat.
Maybe replace thermostat £21.43 after discount regardless https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-thermostat
Check flow through matrix at same time?

Remove the bottom hose at its quick disconnect then pop loosely back on, brim system with clean water then remove again to flush the system do several times replace stat, and re fill with antifreeze mix

Back