Technical Heater matrix clarification

Currently reading:
Technical Heater matrix clarification

BensB

Hello all;
Contemplating the dreaded heater matrix change, and as those of you that have completed the task will agree, I want the job to be “fix it properly, but fix it once only”….
On that subject, can you experts clarify what size the B matrix is, what original part number I might check/compare with, or with the wide variety of brands and prices out there, which brand is best? I assume all manufacturers make these with a mixture of aluminium and plastic, I don’t expect there is a fully metal ( more reliable) option out there. Also, any compatibility with other Fiat (or other) models, just in case of supply problems here in southern Spain?
Yes I know, why bother with heat if you live in Spain? Call me a masochist, or similar, but I prefer to have all factory options available, even if I choose not to use them (but it does get somewhat chilly even down here, during winter)…sunny but nippy means top down, heater on….
So, opinions on which size, brand, price for the matrix will be appreciated, thanks!
Ben

Thanks, Chris. I’ve found some original heater hoses in Italy, which are on the way.
For those that have done the job:
Do I definitely have to “drain”(de-gas) my A/C system for this job?
Do I have to disable driver and passenger airbags?
I have read all the threads I can, so far, and I’m slowly building my parts list…
I may need more egg-nog before I begin….
Season’s greetings to all
Ben

Hi Ben,
With regard to the "all metal" heater matrix: all the leaky ones that I've seen over the years (5 of them) were leaking in the "aluminium" core part and not in the plastic headers (they were leaking between the fins).
So although an all metal does sound more solid (also to me), the question remains if it would have made any difference. 🤔
In the old days the material used was copper (cores and headers) which was more durable than aluminium but you will not find them in cars anymore (to expensive apparently).
I assume that the original heater matrix was not perfectly produced (either the material was not very good or the production process was not controlled good enough) by the original oem supplier (don't know who it was).
If that is the case once it is exchanged it should be fine (use a good anti corrosive coolant and refresh it regularly in accordance with the manual - every 2 years they say .....).
So don't be afraid, if you exchange it properly it will last (I personally haven't heard of a case of changing the matrix for a second time).(y)

Frank

Oh and Ben,

Yes, if you have an airco (like me) you have to drain it and refill it afterwards ... (use all new special o-rings).
You need to detach it at the height of the bulkhead.

Good luck!

Frank

Oh and Ben,

Yes, if you have an airco (like me) you have to drain it and refill it afterwards ... (use all new special o-rings).
You need to detach it at the height of the bulkhead.

Good luck!

Frank
Thanks Frank, pass me a Duvel…..🤪

Back