Technical Headlights

Currently reading:
Technical Headlights

nitro_warrior

Established member
My Nearside headlight reflector is tarnished, enough to fail an MOT.

Assuming i'm on a hiding to nothing trying to renew or paint the reflector (am I?). There are plenty of new headlight units for sale, but they are for left hand drive cars. Are the LHD units ok to use on RHD cars? Or will I need to swap the glass over or so something else?

Yep swop the glass like this heat your oven to 120c then place rhd glass in oven for 10 mins. Cut through adhesive with craft knife
LHd unit tap glass till I shatters then clean up with craft knife. Re seal with sanitary silicone

Thanks, I already split the old glass off. The only thing is the rubber is in really good condition and still attached to the glass. It presses back into the plastic really neatly. I'm a bit reluctant to remove it. I feel it would be better to glue the rubber into into the plastic casing. (Need to take a photo.)

Ok use the silicon then leave for 24 cut of residue with a craft knife

Forgot this tip place glass in dishwasher 1st an leave for a cycle this will clean all debris mold ect off this works especially well with the tail lights and inductors too leave to drain then dry throughly with hair dryer.

Last edited:
When I have done them I used PU adhesive sealant, i.e Tiger Seal. To me it seemed like this is exactly what is used in the factory. Remove the original stuff and then a nice bead in the groove in the housing, push the lens on then tape together. Wipe away any excess using panel wipe before it dries.

I have done a few and not had one fall off!

I would just buy a LHD unit and swap over the lens, the housing and reflector are the same. The only thing of note is that the housings can vary in shape due to being from different manufacturers, so some removal of plastic may be required to fit the RHD lens into the new unit.

IMG_1508.JPG
Depo
Good quality

Check eurocarparts on eBay
Got new set of headlights for the cinquecento for £70

Back