Technical headlight inspection panel fixing - repair?

Currently reading:
Technical headlight inspection panel fixing - repair?

purf

Established member
Hi all

I have a broken headlight inspection panel catch which I need to repair as it rains a lot in England. The steel retainer plate has detached from under the inner wing and the thumb 'screw' for want of better word' no longer latches and pops open all the time...

Any suggestions on how this can be fixed? I don't really want to put a self tapping screw through it...

Thanks

I'm trying to think of where I have seen something like this. You might find something suitable in Screw-Fix. If not check out eBay. There are a few people scrapping cars. If not try Bertone Fiat X1/9 on Facebook. He's helped me out with mine.

While you're there with the panel off, make sure the drain holes are free. Mine were full of water when I bought him.

good tip about the drain holes.

I've done the rear quarters drain holes already - as a pint of water spilling onto you luminition module doesn't do it any good!

Apparently the clip is riveted on according to someone on xweb? I will take a look again...

Definitely no rivets but that might be the best answer I think they must be spot welded on originally? The old clip part is rusted and broken off so I will try and use it as a pattern and make a new one...

Last edited:
Dzus fasteners, aka quarter turn fasteners. Used in aircraft, competition cars,...

Cool. Thanks I didn't know you could get them.

20131221_230444_zps2805ecdf.jpg

20131222_000045_zpsb71d5346.jpg

Not much of it left... Think they missed it with the waxoil...

I was going to attempt to make one from stainless and pop rivet it on.

I'm not so concerned about water getting in now I've realised the space inside is open to the front grille...

1390866214855.jpg

I've made this from thin steel. Might make a better one from stainless if I can find some. Will upload the template.

Back