General Headlight adjustment (dipped beam) ??Please

Currently reading:
General Headlight adjustment (dipped beam) ??Please

Multiporter

Just a quickie ( I hope)
How do I manually adjust the offside dipped beam headlight ? I have it on the lowest setting with the electric adjuster but its still way too high.
I have fiddled with a couble of knobs and screws at the rear of the headlight but to no effect. !!!

Cheers in advance:confused:

On the back of the unit, at the top, you'll see two adjusters.
The inner one on the offside unit is an 'X' shaped white plastic Thumbwheel.
The outer one takes a 6mm Allen Key.
The Thumbwheel is your up/down adjuster, the other is the left/right, although there will be a little bit of crossover between the two, so you'll need to fiddle with them both.
If there seems to be no effect from turning them, then you probably have seized/broken adjusters.

Take a careful look at the white plastic adjuster that BD mentions. It's plastic and moulded on to a knurled metal rod. On one of mine, the white bit has split and no longer grips the rod - you can turn it all you like, but it has no effect on headlight aim :(

Also, once this has happened, the rod slips forward (as it is sprung loaded that way) so the beam aim goes very low. I used a bulldog clip on mine as a temporary fix. I then got lucky and bought a complete brand new headlamp including the adjuster motor etc for £20 on ebay :)

Last edited:
I had to replace my left unit after the original was smashed by the Bonnet dropping down (check how close your Bonnet gets to the Lens) :rolleyes:
The secondhand replacement (ebay £25) had the same problem as WMF's.
I had to turn the metal part of the rod with pliers, the plastic knob just span on it.

You are right, I just checked and nearside plastic knob is cracked, I'm thinking now that maybe nearside is too low, and that is making offside appear too high. Looks like I will have to have a good fiddle today, my local breakers has a couple of headlights, I might check them out

Back