Technical Headlamp fault

Currently reading:
Technical Headlamp fault

neilwolseley

Hi my 2004 ulysse elegance had a bulb blown on the o.s. Dip bulb so i changed it and ever since it is pointing down for some reason.
Any help would be great or do i need a new headlamp assembly.

Hi my 2004 ulysse elegance had a bulb blown on the o.s. Dip bulb so i changed it and ever since it is pointing down for some reason.
Any help would be great or do i need a new headlamp assembly.

Sounds like you've not seated the bulb correctly within the bulb holder / housing. Should just be a case of removing the bulb and making sure you seat it correctly when refitting (y)

have checked bulb seating and my mechanic friend has also checked bulb seating and it seems ok.
any other ideas would be greatful

It is possible that, when changing the dipped beam bulb, you have somehow detached the O/S lamp from the motor which allows the dipped beam to be adjusted from inside the car to allow for changes in vehicle loading.

With the dipped beams on, do both lamps respond to changes made on the beam level control (right-hand side of the dashboard)?

yes both lamps operate properly with the beam adjusters.
i will try another bulb as well tomorrow.

It's nearly always down to the bulb not being fitted properly, see it all the time. I use a mirror to check whether it is in all the way or not, I think from memory the prong should be pointing down.

Glad you got it sorted. As per F/FRAN's post, a mirror is essential in order to ensure the bulb is properly installed. My wife gave me one of her spare makeup mirrors which I keep in my Ulysse just in case I need to change a headlight bulb.

My wife gave me one of her spare makeup mirrors which I keep in my Ulysse just in case I need to change a headlight bulb.

Nothing that posh for me, I use a mirror tile like you used to get in 1970's bathrooms! Advantage is that it's big enough to prop into place freeing up both hands.

Back