Head light/dip beam hight?

Currently reading:
Head light/dip beam hight?

I was just wondering if anyone knows how high the legal limit is for the head light pattern. I'ld like to set the new lights up in my 126 but I obviously don't have a beam pattern gauge in my garage so was wondering if I could do it using a tape measure and my garage door?
just take it to a garage or mot station and let them do it on a beam setter, to be legal it must be right or it will fail an mot.
I have in the past use a donor car to mark on the wall where the pattern is and marked on the road where the front of the car is, and then put the other car on the same spot and adjusted the beam that way, but it's not an exact science but gets it sort of right.
Don't forget it's not just hight but left and right as well.
LUIGI

Last edited:
Rather not take it to a garage and pay if I can do it myself. If it fails an MOT then I can ask them to do it there and then. The left and right seems to be ok it's the height that I want to check and I'm pretty sure that there's a measurement somewhere that I can move the beam to - a height from the ground that I can mark on a wall so I can adjust the beam to.

Rather not take it to a garage and pay if I can do it myself. If it fails an MOT then I can ask them to do it there and then. The left and right seems to be ok it's the height that I want to check and I'm pretty sure that there's a measurement somewhere that I can move the beam to - a height from the ground that I can mark on a wall so I can adjust the beam to.

google it,
is different from car to car, is to do with headlight height

Why risk a fail? i only paid a tenna when i had mine done
To be fair you will not get it right without the beam setter.
LUIGI

This information/procedure used to be given in the Fiat owner's manual and e.g. Haynes manuals. You measure the height from the centre of the lamps to the ground (there may be a small circle on the lens) and mark this on e.g. your garage door, you need a level surface and need to position the car perhaps 25ft. (c. 7m) back from the door, before making any adjustments set the load adjuster levers on the lamps to high. If you look at the dip beam pattern, you'll see a horizontal line which transitions to an upwards sloping( c. 30 degrees) line to the left(for rhd cars). This transition point needs to be set slightly low and to the left of the centres you marked earlier. I used to set lamps this way on older cars but its not much use on modern,complex lamps. As others have said its best to have the lamps set using a proper beamsetter to be sure of passing the MOT.

Al.

Back