Technical Has girlfriend lunched the seicento sportings engine

Currently reading:
Technical Has girlfriend lunched the seicento sportings engine

D

I opened the bleed valve next to the headlight and the one on the bulkhead where the pipe goes to the heater.
Then i filled the expansion tank with distilled water until it came out of the bleed valve next to the headlight. nothing came out of the other bleed valve.
Next i put the expansion cap on and started the engine. let it run for a minute then checked the level...all ok.
That's it
I have read that it can be diffucult to bleed the system, do you think i have a air lock.
Mike

i think most people do at 45,000 anyway even though fiat recommends 60,000 odd miles if i can remember.
Not sure about Fiat over here, but my Spanish seicento has this change at 60000 km (36000 miles) on the service schedule book. Being the same car I'd say it's the same thing...

Progress report....took car for a 4 mile drive today. squealing (sounds like the wind whistling, up and down) seems to have calmed down.
stopped and reved the engine till up to temp. took long time for the fan to kick in. well it seemed to kick in as it should do, not as much as before.
Engine smells a bit hot but ok.
Still whistles at 2000 revs (sometimes)
Put a metal bar to parts of the engine to listen for noise...all sounds good...normal wirring.
Car pulls ok, smooth, probebly pulling better than before.
Looked at the top of the cambelt (cover was slightly loose) i could move it 1 inch. top of belt looks fine to me.
I then took it to my local overpriced mechanic/garage.
He said that it was almost def the cambelt tensioner.
Maybe he is right.Don't think it is the fan belt (although the lack of whistling/screetching may suggest it was)
Will keep you posted, may try to do cambelt this wekend.
Cheers
Mike

Sounds like you maybe about to sort it, IMO the cam belt tensioner would start making funny noises if it got really hot, with the cam cover off and engine running, see if you can squirt a tiny bit of wd40 into the bearing, the noise may stop briefly.

Woudl advise you put a new water pump on, and new cam belt while the tensioner is replaced. Its dead easy!!!

stick a short hosepipe in your ear,
I did that once, and some bugger at the other end turned the tap on, and water came in my ear :D lol

Hi Levemir.
Sounds like a good idea
Am going to start work on monday.
Have driven the car a bit more and am now pretty sure it's the tensioner (very high pitched whine..must be a bearing)
Will keep you posted
Cheers
Mike

Just thought I would register to say it probably is the tensioner making the noise on your Sei, I had the same thing on my 1998 Cinq Sporting (more likely to make the noise during cold weather, and it would usually stop altogether once the engine warmed up).

I thought it was the water pump making the noise (it was leaking so needed to be changed for that), put the new pump on, filled it up, started the engine, and a couple of seconds later had a horrible loud screeching noise, so quickly turned off. Turns out retentioning the belt finally finished off the bearings :)

Luckily it was still on the drive and no damage done (belt didn't slip or brake), other than all the writing on the belt had burnt off :D
The old tensioner was impossible to move by hand once removed, it had seized completely solid.

That was around May/June this year, but it had been going/making noise since Christmas 2005, at least, so a lucky escape really, considering I have a 21 mile commute and pop down the lanes now and then. I thought it was the alternator bearings (diodes happened to pack in too), so the alternator was changed then and the noise just happened to go away at the same time, so the old tensioner was left on by mistake until the noise came back last Christmas.

Sorry for the life story, I do go on a bit :p

Last edited:
Back