General Handbrake (Lack of )

Currently reading:
General Handbrake (Lack of )

phoenix1

Hi again guys. I have driven my 500 L some miles and although the brakes are good enough the handbrake is useless It is adjusted ok but still won't stop the car rolling back even on a slight gradient and I have to leave it in gear.It did pass the MOT but only just.Any thoughs on the subject.

P.S. they are all new parts . Drums shoes and cylinders etc. Thanks Bfryan

Hi Bryan;
You say that the handbrake is 'adjusted OK', but it would seem that something is amiss. The hand-brake lever should only come up about 3 notches when being used. Are you aware that the hand-brake can be adjusted at BOTH sides at the rear? The cable runs from one side, round a pulley-wheel (which is what the hand-brake lever pulls forward) and then across to the other side. This means that even if you only adjust one side, it will 'centralise' itself and balance out. Being that the hand-brake mechanically operates the hydraulic brake shoes on the rear brakes, the hand-brake is normally quite good on the 500--good enough that you can stall the engine if you inadvertently leave the hand-brake on as you try to pull away! You will probably find it easier to adjust the hand-brake with the car up on stands at the back, and the wheels off. What you are doing with the adjusters is lengthening the cable 'outer', so effectively SHORTENING the operating cable.
banghead.gif
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Guessing, but the one thing that gets overlooked when fitting new drums/shoes etc is the adjusters inside the drum between the top of the shoes. Make sure the are fit for purpose & functioning as they should. If the are good to go ie not seized. Drums back on & pump the brake pedal 15 times or so.

Hi.All drums slave cylinders shoes etc. are new. I will persevere and see if they improve with time. Thanks guys

Last edited:
There is a reason why your handbrake is not working to its full extent, hoping things will improve is just burying your head in the sand I'm afraid. I say this as good advise by the way...:)

Hi Bryan

I had a similar situation with my handbrake cable and trying to adjust it up sufficiently to give a maximum of 3 clicks to be on. I could not get the handbrake to be very effective and the adjustment was right up with nowhere else to go. I thought I'd got the wrong cable, perhaps the brake adjusters were out, but I couldn't suss it. I then went back to the start and checked the whole cable installation from the beginning and opened up the inspection plate on the tunnel in the rear of the cabin and there it was, having checked back all the way from the lever into the drum back plates, all fixings and clamps only to find the outer cable flange was not seated in the through hole in the tunnel at the rear correctly, so the cable had nothing to adjust against. Once fitted correctly, there was plenty of adjustment available and it set up perfectly. It now only has 1 click and is on as solid as a solid thing, works great. It's a daft thing really but it had me flummoxed for a while. Just a thought for you.

Cheers
Hugh Jarce (aka Gary)

When I can get it around back of the house and level I will get it on ax,e stands and check all items mentioned. Thanks Bryan

Back