Technical Handbrake issue, urgent help needed please

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake issue, urgent help needed please

Started my tjet for the first time in about 10 days this morning and on trying to drive off heard a crack and found the back wheels have locked and the handbrake is slack.

I didnt have time to look at it this morning as had to rush off to work.

Im assuming its a handbrake cable snapped somewhere but i need to get the car mobile asap.

How would i manually release it so at least i can get the car moving. I dont fancy having to get it recovered.

Any help would be appreciated

If handbrake cable has snapped can see no other way to release brakes at back apart from getting into each rear wheel. Are you a member of AA/RAC? Or is anyone you know a member as it's the person who's a member these days. If not see if you can join and get them to look at it to get you going. Sorry can't be anymore help!!

Most likely pins seized. That's why you feel handbrake slack.

That's why i almost never leave the hand brake on; i just put it in first gear.
I only pull the hand brake if i leave the car on a very, very, very inclined slope.

That's why i almost never leave the hand brake on; i just put it in first gear.
I only pull the hand brake if i leave the car on a very, very, very inclined slope.

I do live on a very steep incline so leave it in gear as well.

If the pins have seized due to the weather (it was -5 with about 4 inches of snow on the ground) would pouring warm water over the calipers free it up?

sounds "Wrong " to me..,:eek:

rear shoes have springs to pull them IN ,
the cable pulls them out to push on the drum..,

I suspect that the shoes have "frozen" to the drum, and the cable doing nowt is because it's got nothing to pull against,;)

return to car when it's a little warmer..,
start engine + warm up properly, (y)
then try and rock back + forth in forward + reverse,
you may have to give it a bit of a "shock" in 1st..,;)

search "frozen drum brake":D

my 2013 "GP" often releases with a "bang":slayer:

Charlie

sounds "Wrong " to me..,:eek:

rear shoes have springs to pull them IN ,
the cable pulls them out to push on the drum..,

I suspect that the shoes have "frozen" to the drum, and the cable doing nowt is because it's got nothing to pull against,;)

return to car when it's a little warmer..,
start engine + warm up properly, (y)
then try and rock back + forth in forward + reverse,
you may have to give it a bit of a "shock" in 1st..,;)

search "frozen drum brake":D

my 2013 "GP" often releases with a "bang":slayer:

Charlie

Tjets have discs all round mate

All the same, a snapped cable would release the brakes not clamp the on. The pads / calipers have just corroded in position slightly, it often happens after washing a car and they usually release with a bit if a bang as you try to pull away.

Just take a brave pill and pull away abruptly, they will free up.

same applies, ;)

cold surface "bonds" to cold metal surface,
handbrake "feels" disconnected because there's nothing "springy":eek:

sure OP will get back to us.. TBH a lot of bank accounts now have breakdown..,
limiting factor is "car is at home address":rolleyes:

Charlie

Im covered for it being at home luckily. They are sending a local garage out to have a look and hopefully fix it where it is.

P.s. might be worth running the engine (to pressurise the servo) and stamping hard on the brake pedal to try and free things up.

Probably hit it with a big hammer.........

Now that;s when you need breakdown cover....!!

From the look of the residue all over the back wheels he drowned them in de-icer or something similar.

At least I'll know if it happens again, this morning I was in a rush to get my other car defrosted so I wasnt late for work.

The Astra certainly didnt have any issues ;-)

Back