Technical Handbrake ineffective how to fix...

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake ineffective how to fix...

dumbledore

My handbrake has become ineffective. The brake shoes are new (recently changed them) so they should be OK as the braking of the car is OK. Tried to adjust the cable but now there is no room to tighten it any more. I noticed there is some strange automatic adjusting mechanism in the brake shoes when I fitted them. Does the fix require new cables or some fiddling with the adjuster may sort this one?

Had a look today to try to tighten the cables a bit more. The nut at handbrake lever is tighten at maximum so no more room to tighten further. Open one drum to see if everyting is OK and al seems fine. I can only think the cables must have stretched somehow, or more likely the outer protected sleeve has compressed making the cable look longer. So I think I have to go for new cables to sort this one.

Well not 100% how the self adjuster actually works. I changed the brakes recently and I just attached the cable did not do any special adjustment to the self adjuster. I assume the adjuster just work. As the brakes are new I don't think the adjuster will be stuck. I there is anything special to do with the adjuster when the brakes are istalled I would like to know.

Back