Technical Handbrake Cable

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake Cable

Brittleware

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the handbrake lever - there was a snapping sound and the lever came all the way up. No Hand brake... Turned out that the lug on the end of the cable from the lever had just dropped out of the slot it's supposed to occupy where it connects to the right rear brake.
Now sorted... but
Where is the adjustment for the LEFT rear?

this happened to mine a few weeks ago 2003 model !
think you will find this lug is attatched to both cables and adjustment left and right is done automatically on the calipers !

The adjuster for taking up the slack is underneath the car about a 50cm down from the handbrake lever itself. The 2 cables branch off from here to each rear wheel. It is common for the piston to seize up in the calliper so really you need to service them by unscrewing the piston ( need a special calliper tool for this) this will free it up if it is seized and replace it using new seals ( kits available for about £30).

The calliper carriers should also be stripped down cleaned and re-greased so thy slide easily back and forth.

If either the left or right handbrake is still not working then that particular side cable should also be renewed.

The adjuster for taking up the slack is underneath the car about a 50cm down from the handbrake lever itself. The 2 cables branch off from here to each rear wheel. It is common for the piston to seize up in the calliper so really you need to service them by unscrewing the piston ( need a special calliper tool for this) this will free it up if it is seized and replace it using new seals ( kits available for about £30).

The calliper carriers should also be stripped down cleaned and re-greased so thy slide easily back and forth.

If either the left or right handbrake is still not working then that particular side cable should also be renewed.

Thanks - I have two new rear discs and a set of pads, so I'd better get them fitted.

Thanks - I have two new rear discs and a set of pads, so I'd better get them fitted.

The rear callipers on mine were held on by two 5.5 star drive bolts, they can be quite hard to undo, I used a long handled socket wrench to crack them and then switching to a good ratchet.

Don,t forget that the pistons cannot be pushed back in with a G clamp, they must be wound back in ( the tool is about £30 to buy)

Back