General Hand brake system-Custom?

Currently reading:
General Hand brake system-Custom?

_CinqueCento_

Breed of our own..
Well, As we all pain stakingly know Sei & Cinq handbrake systems are absolute naff! and we all fail our MOTs every year because of them.. :mad: Well..
Most Say it is down to Not enough adjustment and poo cables.. :rolleyes: What about the connection pins (the ones with spit pins holding the cable to the arm)?! :confused:

What i am asking is it atall wise to fabricate a mutant version of the arms & pins or anything i can do to me hand lever part? (I have full Material & Workshop access :yum: )

My symtoms are - fitted new cable in my grandad's pit.. All was fine for about 1week (Lucikly MOT week last year) then it went slacker & slacker so i tightened it 2 times untill full adujstment.. - also even after hardcore thick lube my hand level is glitchy & stiff (n) Ye yea blah blah smee smee..

Any Ideas?

Cheerz in advance,
Scott

the thing that can let them down is the lever type bits that go in/come out of the drum (sorry for lack of good explanation) could possibly be that? take it out and lever it loose then lube it up :eek: :p worth a shot imo :)

I disagree with the handbrakes are crap thing, mine WAS crap until the correct cable was fitted and it's been great for two years now, if your handbrake is crap you require new parts or the proper cable.

Getting the cable from a Motor factors doesn't help I think because there is three cables for the Cinq so the right one is a must.

Liam

EDIT: read this thread carefully and you'll see what I mean, https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=19248&highlight=handbrake+mystery HTH

GhostWKD said:
take it out and lever it loose then lube it up :eek: :p worth a shot imo :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

On this note my car failed MOT on Friday, handbrake on pass side not working at all, got a new cable yesterday.. was gonna go get a sei one and make it fit yesterday but no time as was the dreaded valentines day..

If you can work out this id be happy to know (y)

I replaced the pin+split pin set up with a nyloc nut, a bolt and several washers. If you use plenty of copper grease and check it once a month it's ok. Bothe the slpit pins on ours rusted out, and one of the pins disappeared. The nut+bolt stop this, and they also don't rust if you use stainless!

Jon+Em

Well, Ghost - i know what u mean, yea probly will take it all off as my tsw alpines go on this fri & fit new pads etc & pull it all out give it a sand and hammerite any non-contact parts & lube it all up - Luvley cinq btw in ur advatar..

Ty for telling me about after market parts.. Yea i would go and buy the real fiat stuff, but my nearest fiat branch happens to be 22 miles away in Dorchester (Dorset) and I have 'TRYED' :bang: Ordering parts from there before.. I got "Euh?!, Cinquecento!??!" by the bloke behind the parts desk and then he managed to find a ring binder with haggard paper in it.. then pointed at the temperature stwitch & sed he have it in a week along with my feul cap.. Came back week later Nope! and then promised the temp switch to be sent to my hometowns Pegoet (same dealership group).. But NO.. Hopeless.. Perhaps i'll wait for an E-bay item to spring one up.. But thanks for telling me..

I work with Stainless Steel - Hmmm gotta be a little bit careful Stainless treads siese easily, but spose using a Mild steel nut on a stainless pin will be fine with copper slip..

Thanks for Ideas..

Last edited:
_CinqueCento_ said:
Well, Ghost - i know what u mean, yea probly will take it all off as my tsw alpines go on this fri & fit new pads etc & pull it all out give it a sand and hammerite any non-contact parts & lube it all up - Luvley cinq btw in ur advatar..

Ty for telling me about after market parts.. Yea i would go and buy the real fiat stuff, but my nearest fiat branch happens to be 22 miles away in Dorchester (Dorset) and I have 'TRYED' :bang: Ordering parts from there before.. I got "Euh?!, Cinquecento!??!" by the bloke behind the parts desk and then he managed to find a ring binder with haggard paper in it.. then pointed at the temperature stwitch & sed he have it in a week along with my feul cap.. Came back week later Nope! and then promised the temp switch to be sent to my hometowns Pegoet (same dealership group).. But NO.. Hopeless.. Perhaps i'll wait for an E-bay item to spring one up.. But thanks for telling me..

I work with Stainless Steel - Hmmm gotta be a little bit careful Stainless treads siese easily, but spose using a Mild steel nut on a stainless pin will be fine with copper slip..

Thanks for Ideas..

http://www.desiragroup.com/template.php?sectionId=4

_CinqueCento_ said:
Well, Ghost - i know what u mean, yea probly will take it all off as my tsw alpines go on this fri & fit new pads etc

What tyres are you running on those?

i too have TSW Alpines

Well, I will be running 185/50/14" Yokahama tyres all round.. - Btw the cheapest quote i got for this was plus fitting tyre, Balancing, fitment to car and a Vulcanising of my old standard with a Pirrelli p600 on it.. 236 quid from Bathwick tyres.. - rang round quite a few places.. (for all 4 tyres plz note) - Singly 59 quid per tyre plus all the wibbley what nots..
Apparently 195/45/14" will be okay too.. From a chap with a 60mm lowered cinq.. Forgotten who told me now?!

_CinqueCento_ said:
Apparently 195/45/14" will be okay too.. From a chap with a 60mm lowered cinq.. Forgotten who told me now?!

I know....thats what i have :D

Back