Technical Hand Brake Problems

Currently reading:
Technical Hand Brake Problems

Copperfoot

Hi all,

Hope someone can help, as currently have no hand brake for a Mk 2 Fiat Punto 1.2 8V!!!

Have had several problems with the hand brake not working correctly (or at all!!!) over last couple of years. Tried to get garage to sort, but no joy.

Car was serviced in December and one cable replaced. Soon after hand brake lever became very loose, miles per gallon dropped and various noises eminated from rear wheels.

Decided to change drums (which were rusted and had lip on inside) and shoes (one of which was worn right down on top edge only).

Foot brake now works fine and noises have disappeared but the handbrake simply can not be adjusted enough to lock the brakes. I have a feeling that there is something up with the self adjuster, but not sure what!!!

Can anyone help?

Foot brake now works fine and noises have disappeared but the handbrake simply can not be adjusted enough to lock the brakes. I have a feeling that there is something up with the self adjuster, but not sure what!!!

Can anyone help?

Yes - I think you are right - doesn't the adjuster have to be re-set, the handbrake cable slackened, the footbrake operated, and finally the handbrake cable re-tightened? I think the Haynes manual (I bought mine from Halfords while in the UK, bargain price for us from overseas) covers this - I'll take a look.

-Alex

Thanks for your reply alexGS.

I have a copy of Haynes manual but it ain't too clear on the self adjuster resetting procedure.

Also think that adjuster may have part missing. On the other side the adjuster has a thin metal clip which i presume stops it from adjusting backwards!?!?!? It's missing on the problem side.

Think i may have to buy new adjusters, but no where seems to sell them. Probably have to try a fiat garage.....bugger.

Back