Greyhounds!

Currently reading:
Greyhounds!

angel

Mrs arseofbox
We are having a 'home check' this week to hopefully become new owners of an ex-racing greyhound.

Has anybody ever owned a greyhound? If so, any help and advice on the breed would be good please, to enhance our basic knowledge of them. :D

Not owned one, but there are a few ex racing ones at the farm where I play with cars. People abandon them when the police pitch up to go after people hare coursing on the surrounding fields. The owner's wife is a sucker for dogs and takes them in.

They're pretty friendly dogs but need lots of excercise. According to the owner you absolutely cannot mix them with cats, they hunt cats down effortlessly and will kill them.

Certainly you will need to spend a lot of time cat training them, these are dogs which ghave been trained to chase anything small and furry.

We have been to visit the greyhound rescue centre and they'll only home dogs to people who meet the criteria for that dog.

We told them it needs to be good with cats and kids and out of possibly 30, there was only two, one of which was just being homed. So, hopefully when she comes to visit sometime this week, she'll get on with both of them.

Dunno what the cats will think of her though!

They also only need 20 minutes of exercise twice a day.

generally an ex-racing greyhound will not be very suitable as a pet. they are working dogs so they are not brought up and trained in the same way pets are. the same goes for ex-hunting dogs.

i have a few friends who hunt with dogs, they often train ex-racing dogs for hunting because ex-racers are free and have already been given the hunter mind set from their training. i can stroke those dogs but none of them are friendly, they are usually nervous dogs. plus they need a hell a lot of walking.

imo, unless you want to go hunting you are better off getting something that doesnt need 6 mile walks and isnt a natural killer. there are plenty of dogs in need of a good home.

Molly is home with us now.

She's 8 years old and hasnt been a working dog.

She's fine with the cats (who are not to keen with her on first meeting lol), she's also fine with other dogs and doesnt even pull on the lead.

She seems to like Toms side of the bed lol and with her there there's no room for him as you can see from the pic.

Hopefully she'll stay on her bed and not ours during the night otherwise we'll have rather a shock and be rather squashed lol

Attachments

• molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 23
no dog needs to be walked at all, but some breeds like it more than others and if you care about your dog you'll walk it as much as it wants, although realistically thats not possible with some breeds unless you have 12hours free per day.

what happened to it/owners/the cicumstances surrounding the dog to end up in a dog shelter?

We wore her out this morning lol, just walking to school and back!

She was given to the shelter as her owners had split up after having her as a puppy, neither of them wanted her. She'd been with them for 8 years.

She managed to stay on her bed until 4 this morning, then decided to join us :rolleyes:

Once settled she will make a gorgeous gentle girl.

Stop it laying on your bed NOW!

The more training you do now the easier it will be long term.

as for the looong walks, thats rubbish. We looked into adopting a greyhound and they told us 2 20min walks a day will be more than enough. They are used to short bursts of energy. um...you could compare them to a sprinter, rather than a marathon runner lol.

Also, as Molly has proven, not all greyhounds are anti cats.

The greyhounds do not make good pets comment is unfounded too. They're one of the most loving creatures you'd ever hope to find (generally)

Go you for adopting an older dog too! Adopting one from a shelter is enough to get you into heaven already hehe but to adopt an older dog thats just extra brownie points :p

We finally settled on a funny little fluffy thing from mill rescue in lincoln. Our rescue dog is golden...cheeky but golden. Good luck with your new family member!! Post more pics!!! :)

She's very loving and is good with commands, we're just working out what she knows... she'll drop the ball, lie down and well walkies gets her sooooo excited lol, she's only got half a tail and it wags like its gonna fall off lol

She goes to her bed to lie down, so we're getting there ... tis early days but considering we've only really had her a day now she's fantastic.

She's fantastic, couldnt wish for a better dog.

I got a puppy 11 months ago and it has been a very hard 11 months.

Training is so hard!

I kinda wish I had got an older dog from a shelter.

generally an ex-racing greyhound will not be very suitable as a pet. they are working dogs so they are not brought up and trained in the same way pets are. the same goes for ex-hunting dogs.

i have a few friends who hunt with dogs, they often train ex-racing dogs for hunting because ex-racers are free and have already been given the hunter mind set from their training. i can stroke those dogs but none of them are friendly, they are usually nervous dogs. plus they need a hell a lot of walking.

imo, unless you want to go hunting you are better off getting something that doesnt need 6 mile walks and isnt a natural killer. there are plenty of dogs in need of a good home.

I've got an ex hunting dog as a pet, and its brilliant, was a bit nervous at first but within the 2nd month of having her she changed completely and is one of the friendliest dogs about.

Also my mother does the "home checking" bit for a local rescue centre now and then, good luck with the dog! :D

More Pics!

Attachments

• DSC00700.JPG
    DSC00700.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00701.JPG
    DSC00701.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00702.JPG
    DSC00702.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00703.JPG