Technical Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet gear knob issues

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet gear knob issues

YpowT

Hi all,

I got a new official Fiat gear knob for my Punto a while back, as the old one looked pretty tired and worn. When I replaced it, I noticed it was a simple screw off and screw back on method. However, when I tried to put the new one on, I couldn't get it to fully screw to the point where it was on correctly; I get to about a half turn away (I.e the knob is facing the wrong way) and I literally cannot turn it any further. This means I've had to leave it half a turn loose, which means it can slip and turn when I'm changing gears sometimes, and there is a gap between the top of the shaft covering of the gear stick and the bottom of the knob, which is pretty annoying. I had put up with it until now but it's got to the point where it's really frustrating me.

I didn't know if anyone has had a similar issue, and if they had any tips on how to maybe get the extra half turn or fill the gap in? I can provide photos and a video if needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi YpowT.
Its a easy fix, I had the same problem with my gear knob too.
Just put in a little of paper in the knob and do a trial & error by fully screwing it on the gear-rod/stick add or remove the paper in the knob to get to sit in the angle you need.

getting the paper in, is pretty easy and get it out is easy too, just use a screw driver/tweezers to get it out. Be careful to not ruin any threading in the gear knob. All the best.(do the DIY at your own risk.)

If this seems a little complex for you go to a local garage and they should be able to do it in 5-10 mins for you.

Back