General GP MPG - What are YOU getting?

Currently reading:
General GP MPG - What are YOU getting?

I wouldn't be surprised if the sunroof knocks a couple of MPG off tbh, but it looks so kool its worth it :D

I've only just noticed my current MPG recently too. I usually have the dash readout set to 'Average MPG A' (not quite sure what Average MPG B is there for though) and for ages it read about 41.3, only changed after a long journey.

I pulled up to a junction one day, look down and the readout randomly seems to reset itself! now it updates far more frequently i.e goes down about 5 seconds after I hit the Go Pedal ;) but no idea why it randomly changed.

Cobra

over the last 80odd miles its 48.5 average thats no motorways just a and b roads and i am doing the limit, pulling away fast at a couple junctions but just not getting it some all the time and for a tjet 48.5 is pretty damn good i think! so i should get 500+ miles out the tank :)

to cobra r sorry to sound silly but are you sure its not now on instant consumption? thats constantly changing to the pedal position and gradient and gear selection..

:yeahthat:

Still seeing 44 - 46 Mpg knocking about and 52 - 54 on long Motorway runs.

I mostly ignore the on-board computer now, doing the sums on full tank to full tank is more accurate IMO.

How on earth are you managing that? Even on a 200mile motorway run not going above 70 i couldnt get above 43mpg.

Me? Mines a diesel Matt remember... or do you mean James 1989?:p

Maybe James got a later version with an accelerator pedal rather than an on/off switch?

Last edited:
I mean james :p On my run i was driving sensibly, accelerating slowly and then sat at 70 in the slow lane for 80% of the journey. got 180miles to half a tank.

Luvin it now diesel and petrol are same price lol!

While it lasts...

I still like being able to take my car to 6500 rpm :p

Thats a definite advantage when you need to cos thats where u find some power Matt.

I prefer it nice n easy to reach & early in the powerband.... swoooooosh! :devil:

to cobra r sorry to sound silly but are you sure its not now on instant consumption? thats constantly changing to the pedal position and gradient and gear selection..

Nope its definitely on the average comsumption setting mate, if I switch to the instant setting I get 99.9 mpg if I don't touch the pedal lol.

Maybe my computers just as confused as me hehe, especially when I looked down and all I saw was '-------------------------' instead of the consumption figure!

Cobra

Nope its definitely on the average comsumption setting mate, if I switch to the instant setting I get 99.9 mpg if I don't touch the pedal lol.
Try switching to Average B to see if that is any better.

I use the B setting for individual journeys (ie I reset each journey - when the mood takes me!) and the A setting for each tankful (only reset when I fill up).

Not sure how useful the instant setting is as it changes just by looking at it!

Thats the whole point of the instant. it changes dependant on how you are driving. Its quite good for improving mpg as you try and keep the instant high all the time.

Yes, but it varies between 18 mpg and 99 mpg and there's not really a lot you can do about it. After all, you have to accelerate to pull off and you have to take your foot of the accelerator as you approach junctions.

I find the average more conducive to encouraging good fuel economy because if you give it some welly it will drop and then take AGES to climb back up, even if you drive like a granny!

I find it pretty easy to control? You put your foot all the way down it drops to 11ish half throttle well i dont really know as my accelerator doesnt have half way :p

to matt, im having quite good luck with it lately ive had tank fulls gone in under 300miles before but im abit more conscious of it lately im just lifting off before junctions and cruise abit if its a short stretch of 60 road i can let go quite early and it takes ages to drop even to 50 so that and well im quite anal about tyre pressure so the fronts are always 35 and the rears are 34 thats gotta help tooalso its all standard that could be it? and to ffoxy its a series 1 2008 model no other trickery :)

Last edited:
Back