Got stuck in snow

Currently reading:
Got stuck in snow

Is the theory that if you keep the wheel spinning, you can melt that bit of ice, grip and move a little, and then work on the next?

I'd very much doubt if that much brain power is engaged. More likely to be "Damn it, not moving, I'll just give it more welly"! Much in the same thinking that - before ABS - made people stand on the brake pedal harder when all the wheels were locked up and the car wasn't stopping. I've always thought that ABS is subtly quite clever because it actually takes advantage of that tendency. (the fact that people just push harder and harder on the pedal if it's not stopping quickly enough.)

Last edited:
I'd very much doubt if that much brain power is engaged. More likely to be "Damn it, not moving, I'll just give it more welly"! Much in the same thinking that - before ABS - made people stand on the brake pedal harder when all the wheels were locked up and the car wasn't stopping. I've always thought that ABS is subtly quite clever because it actually takes advantage of that tendency. (the fact that people just push harder and harder on the pedal if it's not stopping quickly enough.)
You can probably excuse that one s bit more as it would be a natural panic reaction to the situation

You can probably excuse that one s bit more as it would be a natural panic reaction to the situation

For most people it is impossible to let go of the brake when approaching a child in the road ahead. Counter-intuitive to let go. Some motorcyclists develop the ability to let go. If inevitable to hit an animal, best with the front brake released, better chance to bump over the animal and keep aboard. If the front brake is applied hard, hitting an animal will likely lock the wheel, and you're on your a** (or ear).

Ideally the brakes need to be applied to the point just before the tyres let go. Almost impossible in an emergency.
Because of a fear that something will break, investigators in Germany determined that in an emergency most people will not brake as heavily as they could, so effectively increasing stopping distances and likely hitting things that might have been avoided. From that research came Emergency Brake Assist.(EBA) (This is not the Emergency Autonomous Braking that stops you hitting a pedestrian)
If the brake is pushed quickly enough, or hard enough, over pre-determined thresholds, the EBA system will apply full braking pressure. This inevitably activates the ABS, but generally stopping distances are shorter than leaving it to the driver. Many new cars have this now and in an emergency do stop incredibly violently.

Bein a canadian boy that got lisence in the winter, i know how to drive in the snow. I use my abs alot when stopping.

Traction control system is fairly good but do need to hit the esc botton regularly.

Although using threshold breaking can be just ad effective if done properly.

Actually exploded a cv joint.

Although now the engine is seized.

Nuthin but trouble since i bought it !

Well not exactly sure.
Got oil changed and there was a leak after. Was checkin oil and toppin up as needed. Didn't get a chance to go back to oil change place, was on 401 driving 110kph low oil light flickered . Lifted foot off gas and car shut itself off.
Pulled over and there is/was oil everywhere. Had it towed home and can't c where it is leaking. Am not aloud to work on cars place i live so filled oil back up tried starting car and sounded like no fuel. Put can of gas in to make sure there was lots. Was cranking the engine and it made a clunk and now nada.
Got old convertible back on rd and been nice weather so Fiat sits. Gonna call Fiat today. Thing that oil change place may have over tightened filter or maybe used wrong one.

These engines use the oil to operate the Inlet valve's as well as to control engine speed as they have variable valve timing duration and opening distance
And I guess a sudden loss of oil will running we I'll throw this all out massivly

Will be interested to find out where the oil loss has occured from can you get underthe car and have a look?

Well not exactly sure.
Got oil changed and there was a leak after. Was checkin oil and toppin up as needed. Didn't get a chance to go back to oil change place, was on 401 driving 110kph low oil light flickered . Lifted foot off gas and car shut itself off.
Pulled over and there is/was oil everywhere. Had it towed home and can't c where it is leaking. Am not aloud to work on cars place i live so filled oil back up tried starting car and sounded like no fuel. Put can of gas in to make sure there was lots. Was cranking the engine and it made a clunk and now nada.
Got old convertible back on rd and been nice weather so Fiat sits. Gonna call Fiat today. Think that oil change place may have over tightened filter or maybe used wrong one.

Thanks for telling the story. Sorry it has all gone wrong for you.

If the leak was there immediately, or soon after the oil change, the 'oil change place' have responsibility to fix this. However, they will quibble, and lay some blame on you for continuing to drive after the leak was noted, so you might like to not mention that, unless pressed.

Sadly the oil pressure light serves more to show why it has all gone wrong, than to prevent the doom. The engine needs usually a minimum of 25psi to stave off serious wear, but the light will usually not illuminate until pressure drops to 5-7psi, so too late.

A likely leak point would be the filter, especailly if this is a spin-on type. When fitting this type it is important to lubricate the seal. The seal is turning as the filter seats, and a dry seal will grip, causing the rubber to create lots of minute peaks. As it warms up, these relax, leaving the filter less than tight. The pump will push the oil out very quickly.

If not already done, you need to speak to the 'oil change place' and advise them of the problem. Meanwhile do not touch the filter, or they will claim it may have been loosened after they touched it.

Once you take the car to another repairer, such as the Fiat dealer, you create a conflict between the two. The 'oil change place' will argue that they have been denied the opportunity to view and diagnose the issue, and that they are unable to determine that its current state is their responsibility, as others have touched it. Make sure any other repairer is aware of the problem before they go ahead even for diagnosis. This advice of course applies to any failure if thought to be the fault of a garage.

Sadly sounds like it will need an engine, and the 'oil change place' should be paying for that.

Gonna get Fiat to look at it and waiting on call from oil change place.
Mom gave me her old convertible 04 Sebring so got until the snow flies to have winter car (Fiat) fixed.
IMG-20190322-WA0001.jpeg

Gonna get Fiat to look at it and waiting on call from oil change place.
Mom gave me her old convertible 04 Sebring so got until the snow flies to have winter car (Fiat) fixed.

Don't wait too long for the call.
If they do not respond, a personal visit might be in order.
Pop in at their busiest time. With people waiting, and hearing, they will be more amenable. Talk firmly, but not aggressively, describe the problem, and ask their resolution proposal. In front of other customers, they will be unlikely to get aggressive, and will want to resolve it quickly without the other customers demanding their cars back to go elsewhere. Resist moving to a quiet office, although that might be inevitable. If you do have to move away, and do not get the resolution you wish, in writing, return to the reception and continue to express your dissatisfaction, calmly but firmly.

Good luck.

Back