Tuning Good coilovers for 1.2 pop 2008

Currently reading:
Tuning Good coilovers for 1.2 pop 2008

So I just got my first (and probably not my last) fiat 500, she's a 2008 1.2 Bianco White pop with 70,500 miles

I'm looking for a good set coilovers that give a nice stance but still can be daily driven, living in Scottish Highlands with crap roads

My budget would be about 600 because I don't want to get somethig that will just break within a few months. I've seen a lot people go on about the bilstein B14 but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with any others

Any pictures for reference would be amazing!

So I just got my first (and probably not my last) fiat 500, she's a 2008 1.2 Bianco White pop with 70,500 miles

I'm looking for a good set coilovers that give a nice stance but still can be daily driven, living in Scottish Highlands with crap roads

My budget would be about 600 because I don't want to get somethig that will just break within a few months. I've seen a lot people go on about the bilstein B14 but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with any others

Any pictures for reference would be amazing!

On a 2008 car, the first thing I'd do would be to change the rear beam assembly complete. For the 2010 model year onwards, additional stiffening was added to the beam, and spring rates were changed to suit. The improvement in ride quality is noticeable. The 500C convertible had the modified rear beam setup from launch. Also in the Highland climate, the original beam could be close to scrap by now; they're prone to rusting, particularly around the spring pans. Examine this area carefully for corrosion before proceeding further.

Due to the vast number of 500's which get written off due to front end damage, there's a cheap and plentiful supply of lightly used beam assemblies from the salvage merchants.

There's not a great deal of ground clearance on the 500; remembering some of those Highland roads, I wouldn't advocate lowering it.

Last edited:
On a 2008 car, the first thing I'd do would be to change the rear beam assembly complete. For the 2010 model year onwards, additional stiffening was added to the beam, and spring rates were changed to suit. The improvement in ride quality is noticeable. The 500C convertible had the modified rear beam setup from launch. Also in the Highland climate, the original beam could be close to scrap by now; they're prone to rusting, particularly around the spring pans. Examine this area carefully for corrosion before proceeding further.

Due to the vast number of 500's which get written off due to front end damage, there's a cheap and plentiful supply of lightly used beam assemblies from the salvage merchants.

There's not a great deal of ground clearance on the 500; remembering some of those Highland roads, I wouldn't advocate lowering it.

I had my entire back axle, hubs and beam replaced. Picked complete things up for £100. Cost me £100 to change it using my trustee mobile mechanic.

I did see that they did change it, however I would imagine that it would need to be done on a lift and that would be rather costly to do plus get the new springs to accommodate, and I'm pretty happy with how the car preforms in the rear anyway. If I felt like I need the rear to be stiffer I could always get a swaybar

The roads aren't all that bad up where I live but they do have there bad spots.

Back