Technical Glow plugs/Turbo

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plugs/Turbo

bazjay

Hi all
Have a problem with warning light on dash "check glowplugs" so I looked at all the post on the forum and did learn a lot,so took my "Qubo 1.3 Mulitijet" to my local garage only to be told that to fit new glowplug he would need to take off the turbo and the work would be very expensive.

In all the posts I read there was no mention of taking off the turbo for assess to the plugs,anyone have any advise as to any other action can be taken before I need to go ahead with this work, can any test be done to make it clear that I have no alternative to renew these plugs.
Also any ideas what I may be charged for this work,when I heard him say very expensive,I was a bit surprised and took it no further.

Thanks

Here is the job with the air filter and two heat shields removed and turbo still in place! I have a 9mm deep reach socket on a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor on a 1/4" universal joint and long 1/4" extension to crack them free then I switched to all 1/8" to give a bit more room to undo them. I like collecting tools so I got Machinemart 040821916, 040812085 and 040811540. You don't need all of them but you can see the bits I did use. If you want to check the plugs before taking any bits off there is a connector under the coolant expansion vessel, make sure you pull the yellow locking tab before trying to remove the plug then measure the resistance between the four contacts and the battery negative and you should get less than one Ohm, it is easier to get to from the back leaning over the wing and reaching under the pipe. A few years ago Fiat quoted me £140 to do the job, at that price I expect they knew they did not have to remove the turbo. The hardest part I found was removing the large front pipe from the air filter and the annoying smaller pipe at the back that both took a lot of pulling and twisting. Also make sure you pull out (not remove just pull out until it clicks!) the tabs on the electrical connections before disconnecting them. You will also need...
a flat screwdriver for gentle persuasion,
5mm allen key for the back heat shield,
long nosed pliers to extract and insert the plugs,
10mm socket for the top heat shield,
torque wrench of 10 to 12nm to put the plugs back in,
I used a smear of high temperature copper grease to put the plugs back but I think there is a better option (Liquid Moly?),
and I think the jubilee clip connecting the turbo to the air filter is 8mm
Don't think I missed anything there just keep everything clean and make sure there is nothing in the glow plug wells that could fall in when you take the plugs out
:)
DSC_0874.jpg

Brilliant description,thanks for taking the time to explain with such detail,I feel a little easier about this job now,I don't think I have the necessary mechanical apptertude to complete this job myself,but I can relate the content to the mechanic who was convinced the turbo had to come off.

No,still saying turbo needs to come off, don't know witch way to go now,certainly cannot afford the price he is quoting ie: between £700/£900 no way.

I will take some time and try find another garage that may take this on ,most are saying they don't touch glow plugs because in older cars they are likely to snap,although my 62 plate is fairly old it's only done 53k, thanks for all the help,the posts and pictures at least I know all about glow plugs now.

The saga of my glow plugs continues,even the main dealer is reluctant to do this work
Does anyone know an indie or main dealer in the Merseyside area that they themselves. have used to change glow plugs on a Qubo or know they will accept this work and have done this job before.
I am even contemplating doing this work myself,my main problem is removing the engine cover can anyone give me a run down on this,the plugs come out or don't this being no different then most of the garages I have contacted probably some 10/15

Glow plugs do have a habit of snapping, as they do tend to 'grow in', and are fragile.
The usual first plan is to run the engine and get it as hot as possible (fan cut in at least twice), then as quickly as possible, try to remove the plugs. With everything hot, they tend to let go more easily, and so will you as you touch them.
Attached is a print of the Fiat procedure from Panda 1.3 multijet. (I'm assuming that is the engine you've got) Looks straighforward, with no need to remove the turbo. Garage may be wishing to remove the turbo to ensure a straight spanner onto the plug, which reduces the chance of breakage.
This is a common engine, used in lots of Fiats, and Vauxhall Corsa/Combo, so there shold be experience out there.

Attachments

• glowplugs.pdf
    311.4 KB · Views: 114
Glow plugs do have a habit of snapping, as they do tend to 'grow in', and are fragile.
The usual first plan is to run the engine and get it as hot as possible (fan cut in at least twice), then as quickly as possible, try to remove the plugs. With everything hot, they tend to let go more easily, and so will you as you touch them.
Attached is a print of the Fiat procedure from Panda 1.3 multijet. (I'm assuming that is the engine you've got) Looks straighforward, with no need to remove the turbo. Garage may be wishing to remove the turbo to ensure a straight spanner onto the plug, which reduces the chance of breakage.
This is a common engine, used in lots of Fiats, and Vauxhall Corsa/Combo, so there shold be experience out there.
Thanks,as I get more info from members the more my confidence grows to do the. Job myself,had a auto electrics man come out and done a egr ,is conclusion was that all general was well but glow plug No 4 was dead,luckily No 4 is the easiest to get to so will have a go at that and maybe do others later.

Thanks for info

Thanks,as I get more info from members the more my confidence grows to do the. Job myself,had a auto electrics man come out and done a egr ,is conclusion was that all general was well but glow plug No 4 was dead,luckily No 4 is the easiest to get to so will have a go at that and maybe do others later.

Thanks for info
Do one or more 'dry runs'. Prepare all the tools needed, go through the process of gaining access, and understand what if anything you can leave off, or loose, to aid speed. Maybe practice more than once.
You could try removing the glowplug, see if it yields. It might just let go easily. (If the first one comes out easily, one of the others will likely fight hard to compensate, it is as if they're alive)
Once confident, run the engine until hot, and go for it, but don't rush.

Thanks,good to get great advise,will have a go next week weather going to be ok,live in town centre no garage so need to do outside.will let you know outcome,and any info I can glean to pass on to other members.

Have changed No4 glow plug,worked well,this was the one the auto electrics said was dead,this has cleared the "check blow plugs" warning on dash.

I don't intend to change the other three at this time,but I did notice while doing No 4,I had to take off just the air intake to the plastic engine cover on the lower. right side this was fairly easy,but if I did decide to do the other three it would require the whole plastic engine cover to come off.

The hoses to the plastic engine cover on the left side are attached to the turbo with ear
Clamps,not only do they look difficult to release ,I would imagine they would be useless after this,I therefore have a number of questions regarding this

1: which end of these hose clamps would be best to release,the turbo end or the engine cover end

2: There are two hoses. a 2.5 inch dia. and a 1 inch dia plus an electrical plug in unit, do you take off all this.

3: After job is completed can you replace the ear clamps with jubilee clips of the same size.

This job is probably second nature to most members but anything attached to the turbo makes me nervous, I don't want to cause any problems so any help will be great

Have changed No4 glow plug,worked well,this was the one the auto electrics said was dead,this has cleared the "check blow plugs" warning on dash.

I don't intend to change the other three at this time,but I did notice while doing No 4,I had to take off just the air intake to the plastic engine cover on the lower. right side this was fairly easy,but if I did decide to do the other three it would require the whole plastic engine cover to come off.

The hoses to the plastic engine cover on the left side are attached to the turbo with ear
Clamps,not only do they look difficult to release ,I would imagine they would be useless after this,I therefore have a number of questions regarding this

1: which end of these hose clamps would be best to release,the turbo end or the engine cover end

2: There are two hoses. a 2.5 inch dia. and a 1 inch dia plus an electrical plug in unit, do you take off all this.

3: After job is completed can you replace the ear clamps with jubilee clips of the same size.

This job is probably second nature to most members but anything attached to the turbo makes me nervous, I don't want to cause any problems so any help will be great
I've not looked carefully at these engines, so cannot give precise advice, but here goes.

1. Which end to remove will depend on ease of access, and risk of breakage. A hose onto metal is safer than one onto a plastic stub, especially smaller ones, as the plastic gets weaker with heat and age.

2. You may not need to remove much, if it can be moved away still attached, but removing stuff is often easier than fighting it for access. It will try to return to its normal position, and may jump at innoportune moments. Removing stuff later, while angry, leads to breakage. A few more minutes at the start can make things easier overall. If just moving aside, don't stress anything.

3. I'm guessing your description of 'ear clamps' means the sprung clips that the ends overlap, and are squeezed together to release. These are actually very good, but can be a pain without the special pliers designed for them, an expensive rarely used item. I usually struggle with slip-joint pliers, with much swearing. They can be replaced with Jubilee clips. Get stainless jubilees, which are often narrower, as the wide ones may be too wide, and will look tatty quickly. Turbo pipes need to secure and sealed, but avoid overtightening. Jubilees are easy to overtighten.

Once hoses are off, stuff old rags (or new rags) into the holes to prevent losing stuff into them. Nuts, washers, or anything really, inside a turbo will kill it.

Thanks for info, No 4 plug went well ,but taking all your advise on board ,I think it is something I will tackle if I get the warning again "check glow plugs"

These two hoses look a complicated area ,so need some planning,and the plastic engine cover is very solid if you try just to lift,so it's. not only held by the hoses,I need to ponder this one,thanks for your help,I am sure I will need further help if I do decide to tackle it.

Hi portland just thought a photo might help you sus out my engine, IMG_20220502_105753_LI.jpg

and the problem i have with these hoses

Looking at the pic.
Top clip needs to be replaced with a stainless worm drive clip. That original is fitted around, latched over the nearest peg, and one of the ears squeezed to pull it tight. They can be released, an ear opened, and re-squeezed to refit, but become fragile and if they break, they cause an air leak.
The lower clip has been off before and that looks like a nasty cheap worm drive clip. Needs binning and replacing with a good stainless one. The worm part may need relocating, as it looks like it might be fouling the oil filler. Don't need it wearing a hole.

The electrical connector should release once the yellow part is pulled out a little. Might be another part ot tug at once the yellow lock is released.

Thanks,sounds fairly doable with the correct parts,I still have no check blow plugs warning so changing No 4 has fixed that ,but I wanted to know what type of job the hoses would be,while I had your expert help,thanks again.

Thanks,sounds fairly doable with the correct parts,I still have no check blow plugs warning so changing No 4 has fixed that ,but I wanted to know what type of job the hoses would be,while I had your expert help,thanks again.
How did you get on with this? think I have an issue with glow plug 1 and getting quoted £600

How did you get on with this? think I have an issue with glow plug 1 and getting quoted £600
Hi Number 1 glow plug ,this looks like the bad one of the four to replace ,I had a auto electrics check all four,he found it was only number four,that maybe worth a try it cost £50, number four was fairly easy to do,but 1,2,3, need a lot more to come off, engine cover ect, but I would say it is possible if you take your time,,you may need a few extra tools ie: long reach sockets,and be very careful realesing the plugs make sure your socket fits well,I am not a mechanics , and have only done general maintenance, but I found if you take your time this job is doable,of course all the help from members was a great help,good luck

Note: just so we are on the same page and I am not getting things wrong,when I say number four plug, when you look at the engine from the front of the car ,number four is on the far right,sorry as I said I am not a mechanic.

Hi Number 1 glow plug ,this looks like the bad one of the four to replace ,I had a auto electrics check all four,he found it was only number four,that maybe worth a try it cost £50, number four was fairly easy to do,but 1,2,3, need a lot more to come off, engine cover ect, but I would say it is possible if you take your time,,you may need a few extra tools ie: long reach sockets,and be very careful realesing the plugs make sure your socket fits well,I am not a mechanics , and have only done general maintenance, but I found if you take your time this job is doable,of course all the help from members was a great help,good luck

Note: just so we are on the same page and I am not getting things wrong,when I say number four plug, when you look at the engine from the front of the car ,number four is on the far right,sorry as I said I am not a mechanic.
I don’t have any tools or any know how if I’m honest. If I could find a guide as to how to do it a bit easier I could show my mechanic

You may get what you need from the previous posts on this subject ,all the info I received ,was all I had to complete the work,so I am sure your mechanic could do the same,possibly a lot easier.

I don’t have any tools or any know how if I’m honest. If I could find a guide as to how to do it a bit easier I could show my mechanic
If you need to show anything of this nature to your mechanic, you need to find a different mechanic.
This engine is everywhere, and has been for quite a few years now, especially in Vauxhall Corsa and Combo vans. Any mechanic needing help with these should be avoided, as it is easy to snap the glowplugs if not careful. Find someone who has done these before.

Back