Technical Glow plug warning light

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plug warning light

I get a control fault if we rush the startup, if you click the key till the dash lights come on, wait for the glow-plug light to go out and wait for the OK light to be displayed before starting the engine and moving all seems ok.

Hi. The above is a quote from a post from PJM on a different thread, but it highlights something that's puzzled me with my Multipla since I bought it last week. When the ignition is first turned on the glow plug warning light* flickers once then goes out. Once the engine has started the light comes back on and flickers for half a minute or so, then goes out and stays out. It does this every time the engine is started unless it's up to running temperature, in which case the light doesn't come on at all. Is this normal; nothing to worry about or an indication of problems ahead for cold Winter mornings?

Cold or hot the car starts and runs fine; I drove from Chester to Stoke then up to Dundee plus a fair amount of local driving with no problems. Good overall mpg (around 45) and happy to cruise on the motorway at an indicated 80 mph.

*Have I identified this correctly? The symbol looks like a coil of wire.

Jim.

hiya it means there is a problem with the glow plugs.mine was doing the same.had a glow plug changed and now ok

hiya it means there is a problem with the glow plugs.mine was doing the same.had a glow plug changed and now ok

Thanks Minty,

I've had iffy glow plugs in the past; symptom has been difficulty in cold starting. In this case after parking overnight the car starts on first turn of the key. Is it a `problem' I can safely ignore, or come colder weather, is it likely to turn round and bite me?

sorry dont know doesnt get very cold here in spain but i would bet that its the day you are running late the car wont start

Thanks Minty,

I've had iffy glow plugs in the past; symptom has been difficulty in cold starting. In this case after parking overnight the car starts on first turn of the key. Is it a `problem' I can safely ignore, or come colder weather, is it likely to turn round and bite me?

Different car, but:

Two years ago, in September, I had trouble starting the Ulysse when I was in North Wales, with the car parked in an exposed car park. It eventually started and all seemed well, so I thought it was a one-off fuel problem. Come November, when it turned cold, the car wouldn't start at about midnight when parked in another exposed car park. (The only time the Ulysse has actually failed to start in 7 years' ownership).
It turned out that 3 out of 4 plugs were worn out - I could hear the engine trying to start every fourth cycle!
So with one faulty plug, or maybe two, you'll probably be ok, but more than that and you'll have problems.
Of course Scotland gets a lot colder than Cardiff, so I'd replace any duff plugs before about September / October if I were you.

jim, i've had the glowplug warning light flashing for about three years-always starts instantly(would have changed it/them but i believe they're awkward to get at!) .lots of snow and frost-same as you!

Ive just replaced 2 on mine as both were dead giving the flashing sighn on the dash.
They are a right pain to get at and it looks like mine had never been done before as they are not a service item like a spark plug on a petrol car.
You can use a meter on loop setting to see which ones are dead while they are in the car you need to put one wire to the engine and one to the tip of the plug.

Be very carefull when removing them though as mine were in solid(n)
easy to break and then its a head off job , make sure if they get tight then tighten them a bit then try again with lots of WD40 and a bit of engine heat helps:)

Back