Technical Glow plug light question

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plug light question

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who has a multipla, he waits for the glow plug light to go out, starts the car and then the glow plug light comes back on for about 20 seconds.

My first though is glow plug needs replacing (but not sure until a diagnostic is done), anybody got any other ideas?

Also I have a OBD2 code reader, will this work on the multipla, I think it's an R reg.

Dan

Last edited:
It does sound like the plugs need replacing. When were they last done?

The Multipla should be ODB2 compatible so give it go.

Make sure you have the right connector for it and it's the appropriate version of the ODB2 chip to read it, otherwise you might not get a reading.

Just to let you know that we have a similar problem with our Multipla (53). Two years ago the car was starting fine but we got the glow plug light flashing for about 20 seconds after starting.
Fiat informed us we needed new glow plugs - we bought these and they are still in the bag and have never been fitted.
Two years on, the light still flashes, the car still starts and the glow plugs are still in the bag!
Once out of waranty and down at a very reliable local garage who informed us that it looked like a relay had gone in the circuit and that there was no need to change the plus until there were problems with starting it.

I Have covered 20000 miles since I bought my second hand 02 multipla, the glow plug light has been coming on all that time, starts on the button every time. Incidently, I disconnected the sensor lead to the fuel filter 20000 miles ago as it kept telling me I had "humidity in the fuel filter"

We had the flashing glow-plug warning light on our Multi, but it would start from cold ok, even before the light went out (other car is a petrol - old habits die hard!).

We had the glowplugs checked out at it's last service, and only two of the four were working, so presumably they're only needed for cold weather (another thread refers).

We had ours replaced anyway, just to stop the annoying warning light.

Back