Technical glass repairs - screen glue kits - anyone??

Currently reading:
Technical glass repairs - screen glue kits - anyone??

Hi,
I've got a small "bullseye" crack in the Windscreens prescribed MOT area ( main view),
was contemplating a £60 glass company repair - BUT I have seen these DIY kits on EBay for @ £10 ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Windsc...item27c513247a

anybody gone DIY??,

as I want to spend the min on a £300 banger,

thanks - as always,
Charlie

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You can find a good screen at most scrappies for £30, and most scrappies have a friendly local mobile screen fitter who'll do it for £30.

On non-bonded screens it's a fairly simple DIY job.

thanks,
but the main screen is fine , just this annoying ding ,:(
£60 would buy me a "proper repair" with a guarantee:rolleyes:,

cheers,
Charlie

The professional use proper equipment and have had proper training, for which you pay. If they mess it up, they buy you a new screen, if you mess it up, you are worse off then now. Once you've had a go, the professionals cannot fix it.

Go to the professionals. If they say can't fix, go the secondhand screen route as advised above.

£60 seems worth it IMO i've been thinking of going this route myself for a long time but never got round to it, cause im always busy.....
cause last year sometime i knocked my mirror off and it took a chunk of the windscreen with it, not to mention i have a massive scratch on the windscreen cause i lost my wiper travelling at 70mph:eek:

i remember i had a right chew on at a ICI plant about my windscreen on my old punto.... driving past the plant i seen these little droplets appear on the screen and the car looked like to be drizled in water so i used the wipers to clear it off..... but it didnt make any difference so i went back got a towel and hot water......the paintwork was covered in little specs of what looked like to be glue so i ended up polishing off all the little spots of glue but my windscreen got covered in it too so when i cleaned the spots off it lift dimples and tiny pin marks in the glass!
i ended up going to the chemical plant explaining to them what happened and they refused everything until on my way out i spotted a van covered in the same stuff and two other cars.
went back inside and showed them that it wasn't only my car it was on the workers cars too! in the end they payed for my new windscreen

Last edited:
Good for you. Years ago, I had a windscreen company van overtake me on a freshly gravelled road. It threw a chipping at my screen and cracked it. I followed the van back to its depot and after much discussion, they fitted a new screen.

Back