General Gears not engaging

Currently reading:
General Gears not engaging

Thacks

Hi all

My sons Punto stopped on him today. He's had his car around six weeks now with no issues at all, its a 2010 with 94000 miles.

Before he brought the car the previous owner had a full service on the vehicle which included a clutch kit, clutch master cylinder, gear box oil, brake fluid and a few minor jobs before that they had the cam belt changed around 14000 miles ago. So as far as it goes it had been well looked after.

So today when he was going around a roundabout he lost transmission going between 1st and 2nd but managed to get his car safety off the road, since this we haven't been able to get any drive when we put the car into gear and lift the clutch.
I have checked the clutch pedal and cable and they both seem fine when I press the clutch pedal up and down, I see the cable in still engaged on the clutch.
When I change gear everything looks OK on the gearbox with all linkages seeming to be in good condition and functioning as they should, feedback through the gear stick feel OK like it is changing gears correctly and engaging.

One thing I have noticed is that if I put the car into 1st and 2nd gear I can lift the clutch fully with no noise or movement. But if I try to lift the clutch slightly in any other gear I get what I can only describe as a grinding noise and it gets worse the higher the gear ( I haven't tried lifting the clutch fully to see if the car will move ) and reverse is definitely the worse gear.

So I'm just wondering if anyone might know of or have any ideas what the fault might be and of a solution on to how to fix this fault.

Many thanks

Another thread started...and there's no info on engine type! That's what's wrong with the car - the owners (current and previous).

"Previous owner had a full service"...wanna bet it was not so "full"? Incompetent mechanics skip important steps or do the clutch job wrong.
Or it's all lie. If you plan selling the car, you don't do any major service. That doesn't make sense economically.

Now, You will be forced to do "Full Service". Real one this time...

Last edited:
Look to see if either driveshaft rotating when in gear with clutch up.....If so the outer cv joint on that drive shaft has failed.

Similarly if either of the gearbox cv joint housings are rotating but driveshaft not then inner cv joint failed.

You are going to need a garage whatever the cause.

Just to Parrot what has already been said and draw from the test you have already done.

If there is no drive to the wheels when in gear, and the gear linkages, and clutch connections all seem ok.

And you're getting a nasty grinding noise when you put it in gear. and run the engine, getting worse the higher gear you select, then it is highly likely the gearbox is gone.

The test Jackwhoo suggests is a good idea just to make sure the drive shafts are still in tact. I would jack the car up and have a look and see if you can hold the drive shaft still and turn the wheel then you have confirmed a pretty serious CV joint issue, that however would be considerably cheaper than a gearbox.

However, the gearboxes on Grande Puntos and probably EVOs as well. I am going to presume this car is a 1.2 or 1.4 8v engine. Well those gearboxes are made of chocolate and are well known for lunching themselves.

Thanks to varesecrazy, jackwhoo and AndyRKett thanks for all reply.

I have now had the car fixed and all good. The problem was with the drive shaft where all the teeth had been striped and an oil leak on the gearbox seal, this was probably all caused by bad workmenship from the previous owns garage.

------‐----

GrandePunto PL why are you such a f**king knob, was only asking for a bit of help sorry I missed some information. Thanks for f**k all you prick.

Thanks to varesecrazy, jackwhoo and AndyRKett thanks for all reply.

I have now had the car fixed and all good. The problem was with the drive shaft where all the teeth had been striped and an oil leak on the gearbox seal, this was probably all caused by bad workmenship from the previous owns garage.
That’s good news absolute best case. Definitely cheaper than a new gearbox.

------‐----

GrandePunto PL why are you such a f**king knob, was only asking for a bit of help sorry I missed some information. Thanks for f**k all you prick.
It hasn’t gone unnoticed, not even sure why he’s here ?

Back