General Gearchange notchy, clutch bite low

Currently reading:
General Gearchange notchy, clutch bite low

cgranger

Hi
I have just had the slave and master cylinder and the connecting pipes replaced on my TA 4x4 (ouch!). It's a 2015 but only done 24k miles.
Just driven it back from the garage and the gearchange seems to be notchy and I had to use more force to get it into each gear. The clutch bite also seemed to be nearer the floor.
Could this have something to do with the new clutch parts that were fitted or is it just coincidental and my clutch is on the way out?
I read somewhere something about an accumulator in the TAs making gear changes easier could mine be faulty following the work?

More likely they used a prefilled system and did not the bleed it properly / enough.
They said they used genuine Fiat parts.
I will call them, but I expect they will push to replace the clutch and/or DMF as they were already saying the clutch pedal was heavy (it seemed normal to me, and a lot lighter than my Alfa).

Not quite sure how it can be pre-filled, as the fluid supply is from the brake fluid reservoir (unlike the earlier 169 model which had its own separate little reservoir)
I haven't fitted cylinders to the Panda myself but I have read that they do come pre-filled with fluid and have "quick fit" pipes that plug in so in theory air should not get into the system when they are attached. I would welcome any comments from anyone who has fitted them, particularly indicating if air could get in, and if this could cause the notchy gear change and lower bite.

Hi
I have just had the slave and master cylinder and the connecting pipes replaced on my TA 4x4 (ouch!). It's a 2015 but only done 24k miles.
Just driven it back from the garage and the gearchange seems to be notchy and I had to use more force to get it into each gear. The clutch bite also seemed to be nearer the floor.
Could this have something to do with the new clutch parts that were fitted or is it just coincidental and my clutch is on the way out?
I read somewhere something about an accumulator in the TAs making gear changes easier could mine be faulty following the work?
I guess the real question is why did you change the clutch hydraulics? What were the symptoms that pushed you/garage down this route?

A new hydraulic system may have just taken out some hysteresis in the system to reveal that the clutch is actually on the way out? The symptoms you do describe sound similar to my TA 4x4 before clutch and DMF failed... Albeit at twice the mileage.

Never heard of an "accumulator" in the system - not sure what that would be doing?

Not quite sure how it can be pre-filled, as the fluid supply is from the brake fluid reservoir (unlike the earlier 169 model which had its own separate little reservoir)
Ah sorry, wrong model quoted. Even so it was a weird thing to see a prefilled master cylinder. Worth bleeding again just to rule that out before going the full clutch route.

Whatever the cause, I'd suggest you don't drive the car until it's fixed, or you risk permanent, expensive damage to the gearbox. A dragging clutch will quickly trash the synchro cones, and may even chip teeth on the cogs. We've seen at least one car where a broken fragment has jammed against the casing, fracturing it and dumping all the gearbox oil onto the road.

Back