Technical Gearbox oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox oil

purple haze

Beware the Panda Face.
I know this has been delt with before and to my surprise MEP just got a reply concerning "Miller" oils.

Just stopped at a motor factors because i saw they sold Miller and Morris oils....
Ideal for the Sisley i thought....Now they have Miller 90 GL1, no additives etc etc. I understand that GL1 was the first gearbox oil produced hence the "1" prefix.
Its £4.50 a LTR..which i think is good...I really don't want to put in the Syntax Universal castrol (GL3/4 i think? could be 4/5) in case its crap.

So....A) Would the Miller GL1 be ok???
B) Whats the Syntax castrol like???

Thanks....kev

In the 4x4 I've got Morris straight 90 oil which seems to be GL 1 from what it says on the can. It seems perfectly OK to me. I've also got hold of Miller Classic 90 GL3 oil that I'm planning to put in the 2x4 soon. I think that Miller (GL3) oil is pretty much an identical swap for Tutela. Either are better than an oil with sulphurous additives. You can buy it on line from a company called Performance Oils (or something very similar). Anyway, you can find the link elsewhere here.

A GL1 oil doesn't have as many EP additives as a GL3, so it's reasonable to assume that if a GL3 is recommended, then a GL1 won't give as much protection. Oils that are too slippery, eg GL5 actually wont let the synchro's mesh properly. That's aside from the yellow metal eating issue of high EP oils.

Mike

Back