General Gearbox oil change.

Currently reading:
General Gearbox oil change.

punto57

Just removed both the filler an drain plug on my 1.4 Fiat grande punto 57reg. An no oil came out so I set about putting new oil in, the handbook says it takes 1.7 litres to fill. But I’m not to the bottom of my first litre bottle of gearbox oil an it’s full. I though if not oil came out the drain plug it was empty an would require the full 1.7 litres to fill the gearbox ?? Any advice is great fully received.

Just removed both the filler an drain plug on my 1.4 Fiat grande punto 57reg. An no oil came out so I set about putting new oil in, the handbook says it takes 1.7 litres to fill. But I’m not to the bottom of my first litre bottle of gearbox oil an it’s full. I though if not oil came out the drain plug it was empty an would require the full 1.7 litres to fill the gearbox ?? Any advice is great fully received.

It should do

Are you sure you removed the drain plug?

What did you take out it's normally a hex plug bolt like the oil sump on most Fiat boxs
Allthrough I'm not too familiar with the Punto boxes

I took out both the filler plug an the drain plug. The large one is the hex plug an the small bottom one is a 13mm nut.

Attachments

• C2BEF418-997D-45F7-BC6C-7D2137770AA3.jpeg
    C2BEF418-997D-45F7-BC6C-7D2137770AA3.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 66
I took out both the filler plug an the drain plug. The large one is the hex plug an the small bottom one is a 13mm nut.

I don't think the right had one will be the drain plug it's Farr too high up the box for that

Most fiat boxes I've seen have been on the rear usually somewhere near the rear mount on the diff side of the gearbox

I can not find another plug or drain nut. I followed the guide on the forum page I put oil back into the gearbox till the oil started to come out the filler plug. I was checking the oil in the gearbox as my car is starting to crunch sometimes when put into reverse. So I though low gearbox oil might be the cause. An then when no oil came out I thought that it was empty an I would need 1.7 litres as the manual states. Through the top hex filler bolt I managed to put in just under 1 litre before it started to spill out.

Do not start such useless threads. You can (you should) ask in the existing ones or in the Guides. Otherwise it's a littering of the forum.
I took out both the filler plug an the drain plug.
NO, you didn't! :cool:
Why don't you just follow the Guide? It's easy.
https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pu...-check-top-up-change-gars2.html#content_start
Filler is 12 mm hex, and drain is 8 mm. In Fiat C514 series gearboxes. If you have different one, then "OK", we forgive you.

Drain (gearbox oil change Guide). Bottom-rear of the differential. You drain towards the rear of the car.
attachment.php

Drain (picture from axles seals Guide). It says DRAIN (8 mm).......... in white text color. Dots are pointing exactly at the plug (picture a bit out of focus, but it's there, 8 mm internal hex).
attachment.php

Your picture...
Fiat_C514_Fill_and_Drain.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help but that’s not the guide I followed from the forum page. That’s the first time I’ve seen those pictures. I thought this forum page is for help an guides. Not to be moaned at and made to look stupid just for asking a question. You do not know if you do not ask we are not all experts and some of us require a little help an advice. Thanks again for the nod in the right direction an help sorry if it put you out an you thought that I was littering the forum as you put it. Your comments made the experience of using the forum an asking for advice all the more memorable. ?

Back