Technical Gearbox noise ?

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox noise ?

shaun

Established member
Hi, my son has a 2001 1.2 with full service history and only 70,000 miles over the last few weeks there is a tapping noise in 1st and 2nd under acceleration.Could it be the input shaft bearing in the gearbox

Thanks Shaun

Last edited:
I am going to get some audio tomorrow of the knocking
any help appreciated

Shaun

I am going to get some audio tomorrow of the knocking
any help appreciated

Shaun
Its hard to sometimes tell....
It could be input or release bearing

It could be any of the 6 bearings in the box....

I dont know why.... but punto gearboxes are pure ****e.... make of cheese bearings and cheap chinese style diffs.....

I must of had over 10 boxes in my current and past punto....
And go and behold.... im chasing a new box soon again....

Ziggy

Thanks Ziggy,would the noise be more of a whining than a knocking if it as a bearing.I will get some audio today

Hi judderbar,

i have no noise at tickover only when i am in 1st and 2nd.The clutch works fine

I had a similar issue, lasted for about a month stopped and then again, for another one, I actually thought my clutch has started to show signs of wear out , as my dad uses loads of clutch.

Later, I was told by FCA dealership it’s the bearing noise, they informed me to it’s because water traveling around it, happens due to changing gears in water(those were rainy days when it happened)

I drove our car a few days and it was gone, till now I instruct my dad and myself every time it rains to be more precise about my driving skills.

Thanks Pyabbi

I have had the problem for about 3 weeks it does seem to less noisy when the car has warmed up

would regular gearbox oil change be a good idea just to try and maintain it ?
I have a 2003 1.3 multijet punto, am I correct that it takes 2 litres of oil and I should use Tutela Car ZC75 Synth ? For the sake of £20 and what in effect is easier than an oil filter change, should this be changed on a regular basis to maybe help preserve the gearbox ???

Had the same issue, it was like a clicking noise in 1st and 2nd, other gears were fine. Basically it was the Input shaft bearing going ( Iasked a Mate who is manager of a Garage), Input shaft has a Roller bearing at it's right hand end and just uses ball bearings at it's left hand end.
I cured mine the Ziggy way...I used a replacement Gearbox :D
Sourced the Gearbox on ebay (Cost me £100) then got my Mate to get one of his mechanics in the garage to fit it (Cost me another £150) cos i was too lazy and didn't have the time to do it myself

Last edited:
Back