General gearbox needed!

Currently reading:
General gearbox needed!

Just out of curiosity I rang my local fiat dealership to see what they would charge for either just parts or a repair and a I was shocked by the attitude of one of the mechanics there. I know about the bad reputation of dealing with Fiat dealerships but this is the first time i've experienced it first hand!

All i did is say I needed a gearbox fitted.. the first couple of people i spoke to seemed helpful but I was put through to someone who instantly said 'its not something we would want to do, goodbye' and put the phone down on me whilst i was speaking! :mad:

I rang up again and luckily didn't speak to that guy and found the cost of a gearbox from them to be £800 :eek:

Anyone else had to put up with attitude problems from Fiat regarding the old panda's? Fair enough its an old car but there's no need for the response i got.

I was considering getting one of the new Panda's at some point in the future but its attitudes like these that put you off buying anything by them...

Last edited:
pantalaimon said:
Anyone else had to put up with attitude problems from Fiat regarding the old panda's? Fair enough its an old car but there's no need for the response i got.
You'll get a similar attitude from most professional mechanics... it's deemed unworthy of attention on the whole. they may have a point being completely impartial... I mean when you balance the books a panda owner is just prolonging the inevitable rust to dust.

however, luckily love is blind :)

get used to it... and give as good as you get

dave said:
fiat should have said politely that their price is more than the car is worth.
is the £130 you are paying inc delivery?

yeah £130 inc delivery, not bad i thought... lets just hope its ok when its fitted :)

I knew it would be expensive from Fiat but you don't expect the phone to be put down on you just for asking.

I think i'm gonna get the new Panda or a Peogeot 206 (more likely the Panda) in a year or two so this just needs to last till then really, looking forward to using the twin sunroof though in the coming summer!

Tony M said:
You'll get a similar attitude from most professional mechanics... it's deemed unworthy of attention on the whole. they may have a point being completely impartial... I mean when you balance the books a panda owner is just prolonging the inevitable rust to dust.

well my car hasn't got to the rust part yet so its not so bad;)

Back