Technical gearbox failure warning )-: !

Currently reading:
Technical gearbox failure warning )-: !

I apologise in advance for this long rant, this started off as a five line answer, but cmc has really made me think about this whole situation.

My thoughts are that we have to take the problems into perspective - the way I look at it - FiatForum's primary role is to discuss issues with the Fiat range. If you went to an Alfa forum, a citroen forum even a ford forum .... you'll see the same thing, people with problems with their cars. I don't expect the issues described here to be present on every Stilo, Punto and Idea out on the road .... it's just that those same issues are concentrated here and often it can blur what we think about the manufacturer.

I never bought my Stilo expecting it to be plain sailing. To be honest, as annoying as the fault is, my real issue, the thing that really get's to me is the appauling customer service, the lack of information that seems to be passed from Fiat HQ, through to to it's independant dealers and more importantly within their own dealer network.

As a customer of Fiat my only "Ownership Experience" is my local dealer. They are the people I go to for servicing, help and support. I would be the first to stick my hand in the air and say I depend on my car, for that reason I need to know that my dealer will be genuinly interested in supporting an existing car/customer, and not simply focussing down on shifting new/used cars. If I had bought the car from a non-franchised dealer then fine, selling cars is what those businesses do. But not a franchised dealer, simply .... they are Fiat.

From reading through these messages, many of the faults described are regular faults. Seen numerous times by numerous owners. Fiat should take this into account, I'm sure they have superb engineers in their HQ, my advise ..... use them, or use them better. Make the information they have available to the dealer network. Push out quality control, enforce proper standards between dealers. And more importantly, take a step to establishing key dealerships through the country, these dealerships should be the flagships. They should carry key excellance in all areas - engineering, sales, marketing, service and parts. These hubs should be who all other UK dealerships should talk to, and in turn, these key dealerships must have strong direct relationships with FiatHQ. Only by building customer service and support is the brand of Fiat going to improve.

Look at the motoring reviews - read them but take out the comments about "Questionable Reliability", you're left with a very competitive brand, that deserves a better reputation.

From a personal point, I have phoned my dealer with a serious fault on the gearbox, something which has me personally worried, my dealer has not chosen to phone me back, despite two follow up calls and a voicemail. I would bet my car, if I phoned up asking for a call back becuase I was looking at buying a new car - I'd have a call back in 10 minutes.

Again, apologies for the rant.
Chris

There is a modification on the routing of the wiring loom that goes under the battery tray on the sillyspeeds The multiplug hangs down near the wheel arch allowing road dirt and spray to get to it. the loom is routed under the battery cover and the battery box is cut away partially to allow the multiplug to sit snugly against the battery and the terminals are cleaned etc.The dealer DET should know this, if not TESEO will supply him/her? this info.

Well the car went in yesterday morning, and came back un touched! Apparentley the diagnostic machine had packed up!! Now booked in a week on Friday, the saga continues :mad:

Ned said:
There is a modification on the routing of the wiring loom that goes under the battery tray on the sillyspeeds The multiplug hangs down near the wheel arch allowing road dirt and spray to get to it. the loom is routed under the battery cover and the battery box is cut away partially to allow the multiplug to sit snugly against the battery and the terminals are cleaned etc.

Now this all seems rather sensible, but it begs the question as to why they didn't do this in the first place? Does it not rain in Italy, or do we have some sort of special rain that is wetter than other countries?

For the sake of saving a few pence they've annoyed numerous customers and probably spent a fortune on warranty claims. Is it any wonder they are in financial trouble? Come on Fiat, pull your socks up!!

Well, car went in Friday, and after a fall out, about being covered or not by 3rd year warranty, they re -routed the loom under the battery tray ( thanks to Ned's post :) ) don't think they knew about it until their service guy was handed a copy of the info :confused: Collected car late afternoon and so far so good, no warnings, lights or failures fingers crossed then! :rolleyes: I know its been said a hundred times before on this forum, but once again why is a fine car let down by diabollical sevice and poor dealer network :mad: Thanks again for the info Ned, fancy starting up your own dealership????? :D

Don`t you swear at me "start your own dealership" i`ve just left mine to work on more so called "if everything was as reliable as a ??" and yes they are and the customers seem to be happy as well, no "well it broke down last week as well" But I`ve still got my stilo 1.6 with NO warning lights etc (kiss of death)

froggie 666 said:
Hi guys, the missus was on her way to work this morning, and the auto gearbox failure light came on with a warning "ping". The car was in manual mode and she says it was driving ok, i know its chucking it down with rain today, or is that just wishfull thinking its a damp sensor? Anyone had similar problems or any advice? thanx Steve......... ps its of course a selespeed!
Ya dont get these problems with shiny Red Abarths

Well !! :mad: Its back on, warning, ASR failure, ESP failure, lights and pings galore!!!! 3 weeks since its last visit to the dealers, booked in for tomorrow, a leave it with us all day job :confused: I'm sure it knows we're off to France on Monday :rolleyes: has anyone else had similar problems that were not resolved??

Just collected the car, apparently, the brake light switch was stuck on, causing the other warnings. Lets hope I'm not posting on this thread again soon !!!!!!! :) :rolleyes: :eek:

froggie 666 said:
Just collected the car, apparently, the brake light switch was stuck on, causing the other warnings. Lets hope I'm not posting on this thread again soon !!!!!!! :) :rolleyes: :eek:
glad you got Linford back buddy All is now Well I Hope :rolleyes: :D

I had the same fault appear on my abarth took in for service and had the speed sensor replaced. gear change smoother no more clunk. gearbox fault not appeard again. one week has passed but i'll let you know if there is any change. car even feels more responsive.

selespeed black sat nav and lots of other bits, wife won't drive it too many toys, Im really upset :)

Sorry to say gearbox fault warning lights on again. Dealer replaced speed sensor again. but had no record of the last one.
drives like a bag of ****e at the moment. Norman Collier ring a bell, some of you yunguns won't know who he is.

not book the car in yet.

To be continued.

I had (have) the same problem with my 02 Abarth, warning light and limp mode only appear occur when it is wet (one occasion went straight to neutral while doing 'slighty' over the legal limited on the M3 - hairy moment), hoping it is a shorting problem, recently re-routed the gearbox wiring loom from the inside righthand wheel arch (great place to put an exposed cable ????) Now the cable is routed directly inside the engine bay (under the battery box) and the connector block has been 'mummyfied' in weather proof tape - waiting for the next wet day on the M3.

dexys said:
I had (have) the same problem with my 02 Abarth, warning light and limp mode only appear occur when it is wet (one occasion went straight to neutral while doing 'slighty' over the legal limited on the M3 - hairy moment), hoping it is a shorting problem, recently re-routed the gearbox wiring loom from the inside righthand wheel arch (great place to put an exposed cable ????) Now the cable is routed directly inside the engine bay (under the battery box) and the connector block has been 'mummyfied' in weather proof tape - waiting for the next wet day on the M3.

The modification of routing the connector under the battery box is a modification Fiat have been doing themselves, so the dealer should have known about it!

Paul

Bad news
car gone back to dealer gearbox fault warning light stayed on. They had to get a consultant electrician to check the electrics because they can’t find the fault. They have been in touch with Italy’s tech department and they have made them do a full diagnostic check of all the car systems and report back to Italy with results. They have had the car for three days now and fiat technical department won’t let them release the car until the problem has been sorted.

To be continued
Mr. Unhappy

Ahh at last the car has been sorted, the garage had a tech guy from paris (fiat Head Office) look at the car. the fault was caused by water getting in a connector near the battery causing a electrical fault. Had to be seald and re-routed. Someone has posted a simlar fault.
Car has been sound for last two weeks.

Hope anyone with simlar probs gets sorted.
Good Luck

Berty

froggie 666 said:
Glad everything went well mate, mine seems to have "cured" itself at the moment :rolleyes: keep me posted how you go on with yours, thanx Steve.....
(y) Hope everthings ok Buddy,I am having gearbox faults with my Motor at the moment. :bang: Good old Fiat

Back