Technical Gear Stick Centering Spring Broken

Currently reading:
Technical Gear Stick Centering Spring Broken

Hi has any one else had their gear stick stop springing back between third and fourth gear. I have found that torsion spring under the fake leather has broken and is apparently not available. I have been to dealers and £200 for a new assembly:confused: and it would involve taking half the dash apart. A local spring manufacturer says he can make me a new spring but £100 grrrr.
Just another Croma Joy.
Rich.

If you take a photo of it I'd bet that someone here would know what it is and where to get one.

Thank you Doofer here are the photos of the spring and where it lives. The dealer showed me the gear stick mount on fiat eper and there isn't even a view of the right side of the gear stick mount, only the coil spring that pulls the reverse sleeve down was available.
The centering spring is held in position by a plastic washer and a star washer it would be an easy fix with a new item. Looks like I will have to stump up £100 for the thing.

Attachments

• BILD1475.JPG
    BILD1475.JPG
    929.1 KB · Views: 119
  • BILD1500.JPG
    BILD1500.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • BILD1501.JPG
    BILD1501.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Turns out that the spring firm want nearly £200 for 2 springs ,so I have ordered some spring steel wire and will spend some time down the shed (again).:nutter:.

I have the same problem with my 2008 Croma: the 2-armed spring of the gear lever is broken. Actually, only one of the arms has disappeared, the other arm is still there and working. The result: the gear stick does not center in the lower gears, but centering works fine in higher gears.

Here's a photo of what it looks like. My car dealer says the entire gear unit needs to be replaced, which is quite expensive (€ 200 +) and involves disassembly of half the dashboard. What if I would just remove the spring and replace it by a spring of a used gear unit? Is it possible to remove the spring retainer and the spring by myself? Any advice is very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• Croma spring.jpg
    Croma spring.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 38
Back