Technical Gear selector problems

Currently reading:
Technical Gear selector problems

RB2009

Hi.. me again lol.. seem to come and go every few months.. right new problem.

previously few months back had trouble getting it into reverse.. that was sorted.. just needed the linkage adjusting slightly... because the gearstick was too far towards the passenger side instead of central.

anyway did that, gears all selected fine, car drove fine.

but few months on, now it grinds when going into 4th and 5th gear.

would you say its more likely to be syncros? or clutch?

Could be the synchro or the gear linkage again?
Try matching your revs when going into 4th and 5th see if it still grinds then.

Usually a clutch effects the slowest gears and reverse first

Could be the synchro or the gear linkage again?
Try matching your revs when going into 4th and 5th see if it still grinds then.

Usually a clutch effects the slowest gears and reverse first

hi, lol was afraid you was going to say that.. thats my feeling as well syncro... which arent cheap about £80

cant try that because its not my car lol just im always the 1 repairing it for somebody.

dont think its the linkage because then it wouldnt go in.

If there was a problem with the linkage already I'd say best bet was a new gearbox and replace the linkage.

I got both for sale but it'd cost more than £80.

A mk1 gearbox will fit straight in without any modification and them gearboxes are alot cheaper than the mk2. Stronger aswell! (y)

If there was a problem with the linkage already I'd say best bet was a new gearbox and replace the linkage.

I got both for sale but it'd cost more than £80.

A mk1 gearbox will fit straight in without any modification and them gearboxes are alot cheaper than the mk2. Stronger aswell! (y)

no problem with linkages now as far as I know, only problem previously was where somebody hadnt adjusted them properly.. gearstick was centred nearer to the passenger side.

adjusting the gearstick so it was more central seemed to fix that problem... and it was going into all of the gears fine.. so dont think theres anything wrong with it... been working fine for past few months.

but few days ago the owner mentioned about it grinding when going into 4th and 5th, presumebly they are on the same syncro.

its a 6 speed gearbox, didnt think they had those on the mk1?

Not sure but if you fitted gearbox and linkage together I think the 5 speed may have same fittings as the 6 speed anyway. But you would need a 5 speed linkage aswell.

I think they are on the same synchro aswell so probably is that.
6 speed not as common as 5 so I presume will cost more to buy aswell

Each gear has its own synchro. It grinds from 4th to 5th, but does it grind from 5th to 4th?

Try double de-clutching and see if it grinds. Most likely the 5th gear synchro.

Back