Technical Gear lever problem after clutch change

Currently reading:
Technical Gear lever problem after clutch change

Liquidh2o

Hello folks,

I have been trolling this forum for a long time now, finding all kinds of usefull information to keep my mk1 1998 punto on the road. But now I have ran into an issue I cant find the answer too.

My punto needed a clutch change and I was gonna do it with my brother, so he got in an early start and disconnected all the cables from the gearbox etc, so when I got there we changed the clutch, no problems so far.

Then when we put the gearbox back on and wanted to reconnect the gearbox cables we ran into a problem. The cable for the reardrive inhibiting device popped right in, as well as the cable on the back (which selects up or down gear as in 1 or 2 .. 3 or 4?). But the metal arm on top was a problem (selects between between gear pairs?) . My brother did not just remove the long arm from the lever, but also removed the slotted lever on the box.

Now we cannot seem to get the gear lever (in the car) sitting nice in the middle to reassamble. When everything is reassembled the way it fits, the gear lever is in a weird position. As in 1-2 gear middle, 3-4 gear far right and 5-reverse unreachable (cant go right further).

We suspect it has something to do with the position of the lever on top of the box, but are not sure. Hopefully someone knows the answer to the problem. If the whole story is really unclear perhaps I can post some pics, to make things more clearn.

Thanks in advance,

Back