Gaskets

Currently reading:
Gaskets

fiat_fandango

Hi,

I have a leak from my head, for which I was going to change the gasket.

Reading into the process I have seen people mentioning the head gasket and also rocker cover gasket.

Could someone please state what the difference is and also their locations?

Regards
fiat_fandango

the head gasket seals the gap between the head and the block. to replace it you must remove the head completely. its a big job even for a competent DIYer.

the rocker gasket seals the gap between the head and the rocker cover. that is basically the head's lid. you can easily replace this gasket, a leak is obvious by the oil oozing out the head.

Cool, must be the rocker cover gasket that needs replacing. (This is the first gasket from the top of the head.)

Do you need to drop the oil before changing the gasket?

Thanks

its a good thing it is the rocker cover gasket and not the head gasket, i got quoted a ridiculous amount by the garage to get the head gasket replaced on my first car, mi' old Cinquecento, cudnt afford it n had to sell it cheap. :(

its a good thing it is the rocker cover gasket and not the head gasket, i got quoted a ridiculous amount by the garage to get the head gasket replaced on my first car, mi' old Cinquecento, cudnt afford it n had to sell it cheap. :(

it should cost £150 for head gasket repair on the 1.1 cinq, no more than £175 at most. you always need to shop about to get a good quote.

i always do them hand tight with a socket on a screwdriver style tool, then after a few hours of use i give them another 1/4-1/2 turn nip with a ratchet to take up the settlement of the gasket. this is especially important with cork rocker gaskets.

Back