Technical Gas shock absorbers

Currently reading:
Technical Gas shock absorbers

JonPiz

I’m just lowering my 500R and am going to replace the shock absorbers. Are gas shock absorbers ok instead of the oil ones and do they have any benefit?

I’m just lowering my 500R and am going to replace the shock absorbers. Are gas shock absorbers ok instead of the oil ones and do they have any benefit?
They are oil with pressurised gas on top of the oil.

Unless you are racing hard on rough surface I very much doubt you will notice any difference at all.

H Jon, my car is lowered to 190mm and I use GAZ adjustable shocks front and rear. Good item all round, but not cheap. They are order only and built to order unless there is a problem they don't take them back. They are adjustable for bump and rebound with a simple rotary knob. GAZ do have a tuning guide that is useful. It's a faff to sort your set up, but worth the trial and error and time it takes to get the feel the way you want it. There are coil overs available for the front if you have the suspension mod. Part Numbers (front) GT6-5289 (rear) GT6-5290. Make sure you have the correct pin fitting.
Ian.

H Jon, my car is lowered to 190mm and I use GAZ adjustable shocks front and rear. Good item all round, but not cheap. They are order only and built to order unless there is a problem they don't take them back. They are adjustable for bump and rebound with a simple rotary knob. GAZ do have a tuning guide that is useful. It's a faff to sort your set up, but worth the trial and error and time it takes to get the feel the way you want it. There are coil overs available for the front if you have the suspension mod. Part Numbers (front) GT6-5289 (rear) GT6-5290. Make sure you have the correct pin fitting.
Ian.
Koni are another make that make adjustable dampers for the 500. Until I fitted the Gaz coilovers on the front of my (lowered) 500, that is what I had fitted. I still have my old Koni units in my workshop---would it be of help if I let you know what there part number is? Believe it or not, when I worked at Radbourne Racing and we lowered a 500, we left the original dampers on---both front and rear! When you think about it, when the car is lowered (the amount a normal 500 is) the dampers are working in the same 'stroke' distance, because with the bump-stop still in place, they can't go any lower than the standard suspension can. I suspect that the real reason that Radbourne retained the original dampers was because there were probably no 'lowered' dampers available for them at the time (late 1960s)

Back