General Fuel Pump Problems

Currently reading:
General Fuel Pump Problems

TrknFld

I let my 1981 Spider 2000 get lower on fuel than usual (1/8 tank). While I was at the gas station and after I'd topped off the tank, it wouldn't start. Towed it home. Found rust in the gas tank, fuel pump and filter. I've replaced the gas tank, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I also blew out the line between the tank and pump with an air compressor. Installed a Bosch 0 580 464 056 fuel pump. I noticed when I removed the original its number was different. It was 0 580 464 008. I got everything back together. Pressurized the fuel line by moving the flap in the air flow meter. Heard the whirring of the pump, the fuel filling the line, etc. Started up great. I shut it off and started it back 3 or 4 times then let it sit and idle for about 20-30 minutes, went through a couple cooling fan cycles. Everything was great. No leaks. Took it for a spin the next day and 5 minutes from home it died at a stop sign. Same problem as before, will turn over but gas not getting to the engine. When I manipulated the flap in the air flow meter, I heard a click, but no whirring.

Did I put in the wrong fuel pump? Is my electrical sending too much juice to the fuel pump and shorting it out? Is there a chance some crud was still in the line and ruined the pump? I'm not excited about spending that much $ on a new pump only to have it last a few miles. Please help! :bang:

I let my 1981 Spider 2000 get lower on fuel than usual (1/8 tank). While I was at the gas station and after I'd topped off the tank, it wouldn't start. Towed it home. Found rust in the gas tank, fuel pump and filter. I've replaced the gas tank, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I also blew out the line between the tank and pump with an air compressor. Installed a Bosch 0 580 464 056 fuel pump. I noticed when I removed the original its number was different. It was 0 580 464 008. I got everything back together. Pressurized the fuel line by moving the flap in the air flow meter. Heard the whirring of the pump, the fuel filling the line, etc. Started up great. I shut it off and started it back 3 or 4 times then let it sit and idle for about 20-30 minutes, went through a couple cooling fan cycles. Everything was great. No leaks. Took it for a spin the next day and 5 minutes from home it died at a stop sign. Same problem as before, will turn over but gas not getting to the engine. When I manipulated the flap in the air flow meter, I heard a click, but no whirring.

Did I put in the wrong fuel pump? Is my electrical sending too much juice to the fuel pump and shorting it out? Is there a chance some crud was still in the line and ruined the pump? I'm not excited about spending that much $ on a new pump only to have it last a few miles. Please help! :bang:
check the the fuse,maybe it's blown,since you said that you did not hear the pump whirring the second time

Thanks! Figured it out. The old gas tank was sending debris into the fuel pump. I replaced the gas tank, fuel filter, fuel pump (again), and installed an additional fuel filter between the tank and pump. I love it when things work.

I have a 1980 2000 spider,it would not start, the fuel pump was not running, I checked and had power to the pump,I then removed the pump,tapped it with a hammer,it startedworking,put it back in the car, left the hose off the pump turned the engine over it started pumping fuel.put the hose back on the engine will not start..Im going to check fuel pressure coming out of the pump...any other idea's.

I have a 1981 spider 128. Should I get power at the fuel pump wires as long as the switch is on because I'm not getting it there. I know the relay is tripping because I've checked it. I know about an inline fuse behind the fuse panel but can't seem to find it. Will the relay still get power if that fuse is blown but cause the pump not to get power. Thanks for any input.

Back