General Fuel filter full?

Currently reading:
General Fuel filter full?

AndersLS

Hello...I just changed the fuel filter that sits before the fuel pump.

When car is running...the fuel filter barely fills up with fuel. Isn’t it supposed to fill up with fuel?

Thanks...

I'm no expert. When my 650 engined FIAT 500 F is running, the filter doesn't fill up, simply flows through and runs alright.
Stu

Went to a small car show yesterday....saw another 500....the filter was full. The filter was mounted after the pump. Mine is mounted before the pump.

Does this mean anything? Thanks.

Went to a small car show yesterday....saw another 500....the filter was full. The filter was mounted after the pump. Mine is mounted before the pump.

Does this mean anything? Thanks.

Yes, fuel fills the supply pipe by siphonage. As long as the connections are airtight and conditions are not so hot that the fuel "cavitates" with vapour bubbles, this pipe and a filter before the pump will always be full. The needle-valve inside the carburettor is moderating the output of the pump so that a filter after the pump may not always be full. If you were able to see the filter when driving at high speed or climbing a steep hill the filter might be more full.

As none of this matters unless the car is running badly in a way that relates to fuel starvation I would not be concerned. Alternatively you could replace with a metal filter canister, tape it over or simply remove it. :D

When I push the throttle linkage on the engine......revving it...I can see air bubbles going up the fuel line AFTER the pump.......

Is this a problem?

Once in a while, the car seems to stall........by pushing the speeder pedal quickly, this can be avoided.
Most of the time it idles nicely........once in a while it conks....

I have recon’ed the carb.....and yes, it did the above before the recon....and still does it after the recon. The recon job was easy. I have no leaks anywhere now.

I think the fuel system is sucking in air somewhere......will check the lines again..

Any ideas on the bubbles in the fuel after the pump? Thanks.

Any ideas on the bubbles in the fuel after the pump? Thanks.

Hi,
You should not see bubbles after the fuel pump. An in-line filter may not be full of fuel but there should not be s stream of bubbles through it or the pipe work. There is possible air leak on the suction side. This could be pipework or in the pump. You can sometime see bubbles before the pump as the low pressure can cause the volatile parts of the fuel to vaporise. The higher pressure at the outlet should cause them to re-condense.
Back on the clear filter bubble, this can be bleed out by holding the filter vertically with the engine running.

Robert G8RPI.

Ok. Got it. Will check all lines and fittings again.

No bubbles AFTER the pump.........thats the goal.

Back