Technical Fuel consumption for 4x4 - again!

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel consumption for 4x4 - again!

mower

I have been working out my fuel consumption for my 1989 4x4, shod with 155 M&S Colway Remoulds 13inch. I drive very moderately barely getting over 50mph, usually 45!! It's a 30 mile drive to work along reasonable roads and I use the Panda out and out about in my job some stop/start country driving with a bit of town as well. I try and drive as smoothly as possible but only seem to get, at best 36mpg and it has been as low as 31mpg on occasion. The car has covered 63,000 miles and seems to have been serviced on a regular basis.
Is this right or should I expect to be getting more, especially considering the care I take - my Suzuki Sj413 used to give me 30mpg so I'm somewhat disappointed.
If I ought to be getting more, what do I need to do - new spark plugs, air filter and should I go back to my normal 145/70 13 tyres?:confused:

I think there was a thread on this before. Check using the search function^^ as there will be a range of peoples panda's and their MPG values and most probably a detailed description of their extreme driving styles too!

Mine is the early pushrod engine 4x4, yours I assume is the fire engine (post 86)? If i am wrong, and yours is the 965cc 4x4, then welcome to a highly elite group of one of the rarest cars on the road! I get 36 MPG on a regular basis out of mine, with 41 its best when the fuel pump was failing! :eek:

I seem to remember the fire engine should produce around 40-45, but as I said best to check for previous discussions on this.

Cheers,
Si

Hi, guys. My Uno does 40 mpg (but that has fuel injection... no idea if that improves consumption or just increases the number of sodding sensors!) with the same engine and a much heavier body. My old 1986 Uno 45 used to do 45 mpg doing 70 down the motorway. Have you tried checking the mixture and timing? Your not using the 4x4 all the time, are you?

it may be the same engine as your uno but it most surely not isn't the same gearbox...

the panda 4x4 has a much lower ratio than your uno, hence the lower fuel consumption that many people find.

Jim

it may be the same engine as your uno but it most surely not isn't the same gearbox...

the panda 4x4 has a much lower ratio than your uno, hence the lower fuel consumption that many people find.

Jim

:yeahthat: also probably a different weight, and different body shape resulting in different aerodynamics which will also affect it.

Does that mean that the non-4x4 Pandas have much better fuel consumption, then? What would the difference be between a 4 and a 5 speed Panda?

Yeah, like last week I was testing the fuel economy on my 999cc 5 speed and it was coming out at 52 to 54 mpg...

I have a 4 speed panda but as it's mated to the 750cc engine I only get about 34mpg on it as I live in a hilly area and the peddle is always firmly planted in the metal to get such a small engined car moving along with todays traffic....

Thou it's soon going to 1108cc but still with the 4 speed box so that will be interesting ;)

Jim

Does that mean that the non-4x4 Pandas have much better fuel consumption, then? What would the difference be between a 4 and a 5 speed Panda?

Yep, 2wd much more economical than 4wd.

The five speed Panda have better economy at cruising speeds along fast roads.

Jim, you not going to put a five speed in with the new engine?

Yeah, like last week I was testing the fuel economy on my 999cc 5 speed and it was coming out at 52 to 54 mpg...

I have a 4 speed panda but as it's mated to the 750cc engine I only get about 34mpg on it as I live in a hilly area and the peddle is always firmly planted in the metal to get such a small engined car moving along with todays traffic....

Thou it's soon going to 1108cc but still with the 4 speed box so that will be interesting ;)

Jim

Jim, do you want to put 1108 engine to 750's gearbox?:eek:
Don't do this(n). Off course, such equipped car will have fantastic acceleration, but will be no faster than 750, and will do about 28 mpg.

Sutjeska

Jim, do you want to put 1108 engine to 750's gearbox?:eek:
Don't do this(n). Off course, such equipped car will have fantastic acceleration, but will be no faster than 750, and will do about 28 mpg.

Sutjeska

I'm thinking 'cheap track day' type thing as he's not for everyday use or long intercontinental hauls so the performance would be nice and the fuel economy isn't a worry ;)

Jim

Back