FTP help

Currently reading:
FTP help

hi FF

i wondered if someone could offer some help.. i've got an interview for a job this thursday, i stand a good chance of getting it as it's through a friend but one of the requirements is a knowledge of FTP which i didn't have up until a few hours ago :eek:

i've had a play around, made a local FTP server but i've encountered a few problems.

the first being, when i have set it so anyone can log in it asks for an email which i enter but comes up saying either the address wasn't accepted or it does not allow anonymous logins - which i know it should as i set it to allow them.

i had a break and went back into it and now when i try to access the local FTP server it is saying this FTP site cannot be viewed in windows explorer.. also, every time i have tried to access the FTP server in IE it says "FTP root at 192.168.1.132
To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer: press Alt, click View, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer."
after doing that it used to work but now it wont

i know this is basic stuff for a lot of you IT people but it has my head done in and i'm stressing a bit :(

any help/advice would be really great :)

thanks for reading!

Went to FTP authentication and anonymous was un checked so I checked it, and FTP://31.185.224.135 seems to be bringing the files up.. Can't test it on any other computers so wondered if someone on here could test it :)

cheers :)

i've managed to get my old laptop to run and typing my ip with the FTP prefix it brought the files up but still wouldn't let me access it anonymously :mad:

also, once set up since it's pulling the files from a folder on my computer will it only work whilst my computer is on?

i know i sound like a total noob :p

Not sure which FTP Windows uses, but a google for "man ftp" should bring up much of what you need, albeit for *nix versions.

It's pretty damn insecure, so you may -- or may not -- want to bring that up at interview.

thanks for that :)

it didn't really come up in the interview and i think the interview went well (y)

Back