Technical Front wheel bearing noise, but Not????

Currently reading:
Technical Front wheel bearing noise, but Not????

dac69er

Established member
I have a sound that comes from the drivers side front when putting load on that wheel (going round a left hand corner)

It sounds exactly like a wheel bearing, but it isn't?

I replaced the wheel bearing last year. The old bearing was perfect and a decent brand. I replaced it anyway and it sounds exactly the same.

It only makes the noise when putting the weight on that side of the car. Otherwise it makes no noise.
The rear bearing is silent if I spin it.

Any ideas of what else it could be?

Could be rear bearing only noisy under load.

the rears arent all that old, so based on how lovely they sound under no load, im not convinced its that. it also does sound 100% like it is coming from the front.

you dont need to put much load on it, only a little.

Could also be uneven tyre wear.

Swap the wheels around and see if the noise moves or changes.

not a bad call.
im going to swap the wheels over to my spare set, that will remove any potential tire noise issues.

The spring is rubbing the flange when you turn the steering wheel. That could be it. But if it is, you should be able to hear it even with the car parked by turning the steering wheel and know for sure. That is if the rubbing doesn't take place only under load, like hitting a pot hole, if so someone could help you by pressing onto the car while you turn the wheel and you will hear if it's coming from there.

Or another possibility is that the sound is coming from the king-pin. It is worn out, it's about to break. Check it and change it if so because beside the bugging noise it is dangerous as it could break anytime, especially while driving.

Or another possibility is that the sound is coming from the king-pin. It is worn out, it's about to break. Check it and change it if so because beside the bugging noise it is dangerous as it could break anytime, especially while driving.

Won't be the King-pin as it doesn't have them.

I think it is a translation issue Jack, thank you.
A pivot is what I wanted to say, I don't know if it goes by another name.
This kind of thing:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 15
I think it is a translation issue Jack, thank you.
A pivot is what I wanted to say, I don't know if it goes by another name.
This kind of thing:
Lower ball joint to us in uk :)

If worn they tend to knock rather than rumble like a failing wheel bearing.

Yes, that can happen but another case is when the rubber is worn out and gets cracked, dust and sand gets inside to the ball and it squeaks just like a worn out bearing.

it makes a noise with the turning of the wheels rather than the suspension movement, so i dont think it would be that.
I do think the balljoint is knocking a bit so i will replace the lower arms in the summer. its not bad enough to cause any visible excess movement.

only other rotational things i can think of would be the CV joint or something in the gearbox!!!! the CV joints arent that old, and usually they pretty much last forever as long as they have never had any moisture/dirt ingress.

i will report back once i get the chance to swap the wheels over, as that may cure it.......

It's true about the CV joints plus if they are damaged they give other kind of sounds, cracking not squeaky. The gearbox does have a bearing but if that would be the source of the sound I'm pretty sure you would hear it all the time, not just when turning the wheels.
The suspension although it seems that would have only the up and down movement, it's not entirely true. The lower part being fixed on the lower arm it can do squeaking sound when turning the wheels. I had the same problem and fixed it with grease. I sprayed grease at both ends of the springs without taking anything off and at first it got better, sounds were still coming but much weaker and in cople of days no squeking sound. So don't dismiss this possibility without even checking.

it is not a squeaking sound, it is just a deep whirring sort of sound. sounds exactly like a wheelbearing.

i noticed today (now all the roads are finally dry) that it is actually both sides that makes the noise.

never really noticed it on the passenger side before, but its pretty much the same.

the diff is a bit noisy, so i am starting to wonder if it is just that. when you turn, the wheel speeds are different so the loading is different on the diff. i have a sneaking suspicion it is that.

i will change the wheels over anyway as it could still be the tires. may need a new gearbox :(

Well, it does sound that the diff could be the one causing you the sounds. I really don't think is the gearbox because if it would be you would be able to locate the sound as coming from it, not from the wheels and most of all it wouldn't make noise only when you turn the steering, but always as there is always movement on it. And even if you'd be having a problem with the gearbox, you know you can repair it instead of buying a new one, right?!
The diffs do fit the description, you should grease them first and see if anything changes.

Well, it does sound that the diff could be the one causing you the sounds. I really don't think is the gearbox because if it would be you would be able to locate the sound as coming from it, not from the wheels and most of all it wouldn't make noise only when you turn the steering, but always as there is always movement on it. And even if you'd be having a problem with the gearbox, you know you can repair it instead of buying a new one, right?!
The diffs do fit the description, you should grease them first and see if anything changes.

I think we have confused each other regarding the diff. The diff-erential is part of the gearbox. I am aware you can get a gearbox rebuilt, but it costs the same as a replacement cinquecento, so not worth it. Another box is a far cheaper option.

I think you are talking about the cv joints. It could be them, but it's very unlikely both would start to make a noise when they aren't that old and neither of them have ever had a split boot!?

Back