Technical Front hub nut

Currently reading:
Technical Front hub nut

Does anyone know what size the front wheel hub nut is?

The real question is "does anyone know of a socket that will fit it"?

I need to change a CV joint (inner/outer TBC) and it's easier with the driveshaft out of the hub.. :D although I did the offside inner CV joint with the driveshaft still in the hub.

The problem is the nut is recessed and my socket is an impact doodah which is simply to chunky to fit into the recess. I think from memory it's 36mm (maybe 38mm?) so I was looking for a "thin walled" socket such as below, if it will fit;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-LA...061158&hash=item4d4c8a79c2:g:R-oAAOSwh2xX~KhQ

Obviously the socket "size" needs to be right... and does anyone knoe if the above would also fit into the recess? I'd rather not start grinding down sockets to fit... that's just wrong, as well as being a PITA, if spending a bit more than a tenner solves it.. :D

Ralf S.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It needs a 36mm socket with the outer diameter ground down to fit in the hub recess. It's unlikely that you will be able to buy one to fit in the recess unless you buy the genuine tool from Fiat.

Attachments

• 36mm Socket.JPG
    36mm Socket.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 58
I already have a couple of 36mm impact sockets, collected the last time I changed a hub on my Alfa 155. One of them is skinnier than the other and did the job then.... but it's still too big for the Stilo.

I'm tempted to give the "thin-walled" jobbie in the link a go but I'd rather not collect yet another 36mm socket if it won't fit.

Ralf S.

Back