Technical Front brake pad wear message

Currently reading:
Technical Front brake pad wear message

bobbyblue

Does anyone know if the message and warning light that appears when the front brake pads are worn requires an error code to be cleared from the ECU once it first appears? I changed my discs and pads last week due to the light coming on - they were down to about 5mm- and even though I removed the sensor wire after I damaged it, I still get a 'Check brake pads' warning on the message centre accompanied by the warning light when I apply the brakes, I always thought the sensor was an earth activated when the connection was made when it touched the disc.

Good question!

When I replace my discs and pads I hadn't got down to the wear sensor yet.

5mm is a lot of pad thickness still remaining to warn at!

Sounds a little odd but nothing would surprise me on modern ECU bullied cars. Might be worth doing a few drive cycles to see if the message/warning self clears.

Hove you double checked for no continuty to earth at the pad to loom connector junction?

Good question!

5mm is a lot of pad thickness still remaining to warn at!
I say 5mm but it was probably nearer 3mm on the fronts, the sensor had been contacting the disc, when I find out what is causing the problem I will re post, I am going to hook up the laptop when I get a few spare minutes.
On a slightly different subject some lucky person got Do I Don't I's 2.4 Croma for £2,200, now that was a bargain.

hi

my warning light did the same thing but my front pads are at 10mm so i did not change them.

i only changed the rear pads and discs. but when i changed the rear pads i did not see a sensor wire so how did it know that they needed changing. also one of my piston boots was damaged by the tool i used to retract the piston. can you replace these without pooping the piston out?

and does anyone know how do i get rid of this stupid warning light?

hi

my warning light did the same thing but my front pads are at 10mm so i did not change them.

i only changed the rear pads and discs. but when i changed the rear pads i did not see a sensor wire so how did it know that they needed changing. also one of my piston boots was damaged by the tool i used to retract the piston. can you replace these without pooping the piston out?

and does anyone know how do i get rid of this stupid warning light?

It didn't, It only tells you the wear of the pad(s) which have sensors (y)

I was barking up the wrong tree with the sensor light, I had damaged the sensor wire when removing the pads from the calipers, the system works by keeping continuity between the two sensor wires, so the light comes on when the wires are broken as in my case. You can either pay £25 for a new sensor wire or solder up the existing one to complete the circuit, the light then goes out

Last edited:
Back