Folder path contains an invalid character

Currently reading:
Folder path contains an invalid character

psychofox

Legend
Afternoon all,

Hope all is well.

Have anyone ever come across this error when installing a program on Win 10?

"The folder path Garmin Express contains an invalid character" ?????

Backstory:
Went to update Garmin Express, as i normally do every so often.
Once I had run it, it gave me the error that I needed to insert a CD for it?
Bit weird as its a downloaded program.
Thought maybe a uninstall and reinstall would fix.
Uninstalled, downloaded the program from the Garmin site, now every time I try to install I get the said error. I have tried previous versions too.

Anyone have any clue as to ho it can be fixed?

It only gives me the option to install to C drive, even though I had originally had it installed on E drive.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I can't say that I've ever heard of Garmin Express, though as I use Linux and not Windows ..

I think the clue is in the C/E drive on your computer. If it was originally installed on E then I would assume that any updates would automatically be directed towards E .. but maybe not.

It sounds as though the update has gone to C .. something along those lines .. and is having problems finding things.

Can you copy the contents of any files and folders - Garmin Express - and drop them into the folders on E?

It sounds as though at start up Garmin Express is looking in the wrong place for the files, hence the error message

I can't say that I've ever heard of Garmin Express, though as I use Linux and not Windows ..

I think the clue is in the C/E drive on your computer. If it was originally installed on E then I would assume that any updates would automatically be directed towards E .. but maybe not.

It sounds as though the update has gone to C .. something along those lines .. and is having problems finding things.

Can you copy the contents of any files and folders - Garmin Express - and drop them into the folders on E?

It sounds as though at start up Garmin Express is looking in the wrong place for the files, hence the error message

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for the input. Its Satnav software (update the maps, etc).
I will copy the files and move them to the other drive, fingers crossed that fixes it.

Try changing the folder name to "Garmin-Express", i suspect it doesn't like the space. Also, can you take a screenshot of the screen before you get the error (if the above doesn't work)?

Hi Eklipze3k,

Rename which folder?
I dont get an option to choose where to install or name the folder. :bang:

If you can wait a few days... i can sort it remotely for you.

As others have said. It will most likely be a folder path issue.

I think this could be related.
I went to open up a .zip file and I got this message:
Keep using this app "D:\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" %1

9D drive is the DVD drive)

Where did the "%1" bit come from? Why does it think the program is on a disc?

What is going on with my PC?

Attachments

• Error2.jpg
    Error2.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 54
I think this could be related.
I went to open up a .zip file and I got this message:
Keep using this app "D:\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" %1

9D drive is the DVD drive)

Where did the "%1" bit come from? Why does it think the program is on a disc?

What is going on with my PC?

Thats a strange one - i would check your default programs associations as this is most likely the problem, winrar should not have a switch on the end of the command to run it unless your specifically running it from command line and telling it to do things...

Thats a strange one - i would check your default programs associations as this is most likely the problem, winrar should not have a switch on the end of the command to run it unless your specifically running it from command line and telling it to do things...

This in the windows settings?

It should be, if you use the Windows search function and type "Default Programs" it should take you to it.

As Noxide said - just click your start menu button and type it in, should bring it straight up - click on it, then check your associations for the file type you are trying to open.

As Noxide said - just click your start menu button and type it in, should bring it straight up - click on it, then check your associations for the file type you are trying to open.

Winrar now opens Winrar :)

Any idea about the first issue? :bang:

Winrar now opens Winrar :)

Any idea about the first issue? :bang:

Okay, the first issue is still this thing of wanting to reinstall Garmin Express, correct?

Just a thought, did this only start when you tried to update the version of Garmin Express you're using? Could you download an older version and see if the problem persists?

Okay, the first issue is still this thing of wanting to reinstall Garmin Express, correct?

Just a thought, did this only start when you tried to update the version of Garmin Express you're using? Could you download an older version and see if the problem persists?

I've tried a few previous versions, all give the same error :-(

I've tried a few previous versions, all give the same error :-(

Okay, so at the moment the program is unusable, yes? Have you uninstalled and cleared out every single file? Some computers install stuff in C>Program Files, some in C>Program Files (x86). Basically what I'm getting at is clearing out any logs or remnants that the program might have left on your computer?

Okay, so I've downloaded the software and tried it. You can change the directory where it installs to by clicking options as shown below. (do ignore the messy desktop)

Screenshot (26).jpg

Screenshot (27).jpg

Okay, so at the moment the program is unusable, yes? Have you uninstalled and cleared out every single file? Some computers install stuff in C>Program Files, some in C>Program Files (x86). Basically what I'm getting at is clearing out any logs or remnants that the program might have left on your computer?

Okay, so I've downloaded the software and tried it. You can change the directory where it installs to by clicking options as shown below. (do ignore the messy desktop)

View attachment 180510

View attachment 180511

Strange, I did not get that option when i tried.
I will take another look when i get in and post the pic.

ive re-downloaded the install and dropped it on my desktop.
The moment i click on the icon i get this....

Attachments

• 20170516_214259.jpg
    20170516_214259.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 49
Back