Foggy Headlights Fix

Currently reading:
Foggy Headlights Fix

Last September took my car for MOT. Passed with Advisory about Foggy Headlights. Never noticed that before.
So scoured the web looking for answer. Most rubbish or to complicated.
Anyway found advertisement and video from Turtle Wax.
Product called Headlight Cleaner & Sealant. (300ml).
Halfords is only a mile away from me, so brought it from them.
Followed instructions and did O/Side then N/Side headlights.
Repeated this about 5 times until I was happy with the headlights.
Just checked them. Still clear.
Did not use much of the liquid. Have plenty left if I wish to clean headlight again.
Hope this is of use to others.

I had very dull light lenses on my Scudo . Tried the toothpaste recommendation with lots of hard work and little reward. I decided on 3000 wet and dry paper. Finer may be better but 3000 was all I could find. With little effort I had perfectly clear lenses. Then sprayed a coat of Dupli-Color Clear coat. Much cheaper than most expensive proprietary and supposed solutions.

I had very dull light lenses on my Scudo . Tried the toothpaste recommendation with lots of hard work and little reward. I decided on 3000 wet and dry paper. Finer may be better but 3000 was all I could find. With little effort I had perfectly clear lenses. Then sprayed a coat of Dupli-Color Clear coat. Much cheaper than most expensive proprietary and supposed solutions.
Really glad that worked for you. Seems like hard work though. Thanks

Last September took my car for MOT. Passed with Advisory about Foggy Headlights. Never noticed that before.
So scoured the web looking for answer. Most rubbish or to complicated.
Anyway found advertisement and video from Turtle Wax.
Product called Headlight Cleaner & Sealant. (300ml).
Halfords is only a mile away from me, so brought it from them.
Followed instructions and did O/Side then N/Side headlights.
Repeated this about 5 times until I was happy with the headlights.
Just checked them. Still clear.
Did not use much of the liquid. Have plenty left if I wish to clean headlight again.
Hope this is of use to others.
I have just cleaned the very cloudy headlights on my Friend's Chevrolet (sorry)! Used my Lidl electric polisher and some rubbing compound bought from Halfords. (£5) Topped it off with some Color Cut. Took 10mins and they look like new. It really works! Cheap too, plenty left for other things.

I have just cleaned the very cloudy headlights on my Friend's Chevrolet (sorry)! Used my Lidl electric polisher and some rubbing compound bought from Halfords. (£5) Topped it off with some Color Cut. Took 10mins and they look like new. It really works! Cheap too, plenty left for other things.
Yes I did similar a few years ago. I had an old tin of rubbing copound and followed up with t cut and then chrome polish. Perfect results by hand im aboiut 1 hour per light. Cost c 50p as I had these all on the shelf. A polisher would make it much quicker and easier.

Reactions: AED
There seem to be lots of kits available, most requiring an electric drill, and all using abrasive in several stages. They seem to work, but taking abrasive to my headlights is a little worrying.
Then I saw an American using some metal polish. The polish he used was intended for alloy wheels, and is difficult and expensive to find in the UK. Then I thought. Lurking in the back of my garage, last used around 2003, was the remains of a tube of Solvol Autosol chrome polish. A piece of old denim as a rag, and 10 minutes later, one headlamp looking good again.
Have had similar success since on a friend's Suzuki van. Took ratehr longer, as his were orange instead of clear. Got half-way to cleaning a friend's Clio lamps. He took the Solvol home to finish the job, then met an icy patch and parked it in a ditch. Replaced with a 2015 Celerio. So there's a new learning curve for me.

I used to use Autosol, but now use Meguiars Plasti-RX with a polishing pad on my drill.

Whatever you use you must remember to then coat the lights with a UV protection, because unprotected they will go yellow again very quickly.
I have some Meguiars Plasti-RX, brings them up top a nice shine once finished with the Solvol. I thought Plasti-RX was supposed to protect them a little.
I do have some aerosol coating, specifically for headlamps, but needs a dry calm day, so meanwhile, they'll live with the Plasti-RX only.

Yes I did similar a few years ago. I had an old tin of rubbing copound and followed up with t cut and then chrome polish. Perfect results by hand im aboiut 1 hour per light. Cost c 50p as I had these all on the shelf. A polisher would make it much quicker and easier.
Thanks for reply. Seems there are many ways to clean headlights. Cheers:)

Lights have that yellow tinge again after using Turtle Wax.

The Turtle Wax was easy to apply so no hardship to do again.

I think I will try spraying with a clear lacquer to see how that performs next time.
Thanks for message. I have not had this yellow tinge. Lights are still clear since I cleaned them. As you say, so easy to use. Hope the lacquer works for you.

Good to hear you had great results. I'll deal with the foggy headlights once it returns from the shop for the installation of the new tires from 4Wheelonline. The last clear coat didn't last.

Even now my Headlight are clear. Well worth trying.

Back