Technical Fluid capacities and types

Currently reading:
Technical Fluid capacities and types

L8AGN2

This is a long shot, but does someone happen to have the correct fluid types (gearbox,engine oil, coolant. etc) and capacities for a 1980 1500 5spd? In an ideal world a scan of the corresponding page from a manual would be awesome! TIA :worship:

Engine should be on a good 15w40 or 15w50 oil (unless you plan on some really cold starts in which case a 10w or even a 5W would be a good idea) - takes about 4 litres.
Gearbox - use redline MTL or if you can't find any a decent 80w90. Do not use *any* EP oil ever (or say good bye to your gearbox)
Coolant - takes about 12 litres (from memory) and should be a 50% antifreeze mix

Thanks! Seeing as this car has sat dormant for a few years I am going over every single thing. Obviously the fluids are the first to go, then carb kits (PO already did the dual dcnf 40 upgrade for me!) , gonna have to pull the fuel tank aswell (see prior post), and the brakes!

Oh my the brakes! What a chore to get seized calipers off! Needless to say a few hours effort and they did come off! On that note , any helpful tips on cleaning or rebuilding them (housing are fine , piston stuck) would be awesome (Fiat parts are hard to come by on Vancouver Island)

Attachments

• Img_4537.jpg
    Img_4537.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I seem to remember needing 3 bottles of MT90 for mine so somewhere betweeen 2 and 3 quarts. On the downside the internals of my box aren't standard so the displacement from the gears is different. It's going to depend on how well it is drained anyway.

By comparison my newer Seicento only takes 1.5l (less than 2 quarts) and thanks to a weeping output shaft seal needs constant attention to keep it full enough to work! Thankfully it is easy to top up and doesn't need any jacking up or removal of parts to get to the fill plug.

Thanks! Seeing as this car has sat dormant for a few years I am going over every single thing. Obviously the fluids are the first to go, then carb kits (PO already did the dual dcnf 40 upgrade for me!) , gonna have to pull the fuel tank aswell (see prior post), and the brakes!

Oh my the brakes! What a chore to get seized calipers off! Needless to say a few hours effort and they did come off! On that note , any helpful tips on cleaning or rebuilding them (housing are fine , piston stuck) would be awesome (Fiat parts are hard to come by on Vancouver Island)

That is slightly scary, it's like our brakes are in identical condition. I used an angle grinder (with a wire brush head) to carefully remove the rust from the caliper brackets, and just a small hand wire brush to clean up the shields. Painted both, black on the shields and a bare-metal-looking silver on the brackets. Discs will probably go in a lathe to get wire brushed evenly.

I've only got one piston out so far, haven't had a go at the other yet - but it took nearly an hour of being inventive with screw drivers, multi grips and a myriad of other things to lever it out. It'll be quicker next time if I run into the same problem.

Last edited:
Why not just use the foot pedal to get the piston out, much easier and if you are changing the fluid it doesn't matter about loosing it, just have a good can underneath to catch it. Easiest way I know,
T

Why not just use the foot pedal to get the piston out, much easier and if you are changing the fluid it doesn't matter about loosing it, just have a good can underneath to catch it. Easiest way I know,
T

I would have but the brake master cylinder was already out and it wasn't in working order when it was in there anyway, so we had to resort to some old fashioned muscle.

Engine oil should be 4.5 litres and coolant is 11.6 litres. About 4.0 litres is right for the gearbox but basically fill till it starts to come out the filler hole. If you start to work on the rear calipers note the pistons have to be screwed out as they screw on to handbrake (emergency brake) plunger.

Back