Technical H4 Headlamp function and fuses query

Currently reading:
Technical H4 Headlamp function and fuses query

RDS

Hello all

I am part way through the headlamp relay conversion and have a few questions now that rain has stopped play:

1 is the headlamp a regular H4 type?
2 are the disposition of the lamp terminals the standard H4 pattern?

Why do I ask?

Well, cannibalising the headlamp relay kit which I bought, I seem to have a slight mismatch in the function of the terminals but may (as usual) be wrong.....but bear with me to the end, where I think I have worked it out.

Looking at the r/h/s ie UK driver side bulb connector "head on" ie from the direction from which you insert the bulb, the disposition of the terminals is an inverted U.

On the right side of the inverted U is the black earth wire terminal - that's ok by me;
On the top of the inverted U there is the grey wire terminal - according to Haynes (using the fuse key on another thread) this is MAIN beam, whereas an internet search of H4 terminals shows this to the dipped beam terminal, and
On the left side of the inverted U is the green wire terminal - according to Haynes (using the fuse key on another thread) this is DIPPED beam, whereas an internet search of H4 terminals shows this to the main beam terminal.

I have traced the Grey wire to fuse 4 which is mentioned on another thread to cover the main beam circuit and the green wire to fuse 6 which is mentioned on that thread to cover the dipped beam circuit, although it goes via the headlamp beam relay.

What is going on here? Certainly, when I last had the headlamps working, pulling the column lever DOWN moved the light function from dipped to main beam, which is what I would expect.

So, are the bulbs not standard H4 bulbs? I think they are
is the Haynes diagram incorrect to show the grey wire as main beam when it should be Dipped and vice versa for the green wire? No it is correct , I believe.

As we know that the main beam is operated by a relay and the dipped beam is not, I have come to the conclusion that the GREY wire IS the DIPPED beam and the GREEN is the MAIN beam and as a result the fuse designation (using the fuse key on another thread) is incorrect for these fuses.

If anyone knows for sure though, please say!

cheers

RDS

Back