First time buyer - Punto - prepurchase advice needed!!!

Currently reading:
First time buyer - Punto - prepurchase advice needed!!!

frescoflyer

Hi all,

I will potentially be a First time Fiat owner shortly and would appreciate any advice!! :)

The car in question is a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX. It has 50K miles on the clock.

I will be buying from a garage so will have the luxury of a 6 month warranty, but understandably, I want to minimize the risk.

Is there anything I should look out for when deciding to purchase the car?
Should the timing belt be replaced before purchase (2001 car / 50K on clock)?
Is there anything physical I should look out for around the engine / exterior / interior of car?

Any other tips / advice would be most appreciated!

Best Regards,

Fresco (y)

Hey there, :)

I don't own a punto myself, I have a seicento sporting. However, I'd personally check that the clutch is in good order as ive heard that fiats are prone to clutch problems (im not 100% on this, im also new to the forum so someone might diasgree) and see if its had any work done to it. I had my car only six months and the clutch cable snapped and then a further six months later i had to replace the whole clutch, which cost me over £200 and my cars only a year older that yours. I'd say that that was the only problem ive had with my car but id be lying, i had problems with the brakes too but i still love my car and woudnt change it.

Id personally say if everything seems alright, clutch wise, then id go for it and be a fiat owner! hehe

xxxLoUxxx

Its due its belts changing because its about 5 years old, they'll probaly try and blag you that they don't need doing till 72k which is bs.

Back