Fibreglass products

Currently reading:
Fibreglass products

V0NS73V3

Scuba Steve
Im looking to do a fibreglass box for my sub and some fibreglass front door pods, but im not sure where to get the resin and stuff to do it.

I know that halfords sell all the stuff i need but they only sell it in small quantities, does anyone know any places where i could get larger amounts?

I know i could just buy lots of the smaller bits from halfords but thats gonna work out costly :(

Yeah i have done my research and have a basic idea of what i am going to do, was just a case of finding the materials.

That looks like an awesome site

Where are you puting the box i take it you are building a stealth type box that fits by the wheel arch. You must remeber that PG unless done with many layers is not very acoustic so remember to do a lot of framework to support, make it stable and reduce flex but also FG over the inside of the framework to give a smooth surface inside as hard edges can cause a negative affect on sound.
I wouls also suggect that you use the box dimensions software to work out the volume of airspace so you can build it the right size.
And good luck Put some pics in a Members motors gallery and i will put them in a members installs thread at the top of ICE section.

Nah not quite, im going to be building the install into the floor of the boot, using the spare wheel bay as the sub box, so im going to use the FG to build it in snugly. Yeah i will use the software to get the correct volume of the box, well as good as i can do.

I will take pictures as i do it and depending on how it goes, put it into a guide

Nah not quite, im going to be building the install into the floor of the boot, using the spare wheel bay as the sub box, so im going to use the FG to build it in snugly. Yeah i will use the software to get the correct volume of the box, well as good as i can do.

I will take pictures as i do it and depending on how it goes, put it into a guide

Oh ok at about 4/5 layers in i would suggest doing a layer or two of sound deadening then do that last layers over top of that.
I also think that a lot of people grease up the spare wheel bay so the FG shell can be lifted out once you have the basic shape then you can fill up the shell with water one Litre at a time to work out the air space of the shape of the spare wheel bay and decide where to go from there.

Oh ok at about 4/5 layers in i would suggest doing a layer or two of sound deadening then do that last layers over top of that.
I also think that a lot of people grease up the spare wheel bay so the FG shell can be lifted out once you have the basic shape then you can fill up the shell with water one Litre at a time to work out the air space of the shape of the spare wheel bay and decide where to go from there.

Yeah thats a good idea about the sound deadening, im aiming to eventually put sound deadening throughout the car.

Yeah i was planning to grease it up, dont wanna get it stuck in there, and yeah thats what i was planning to do to work out the right size (y)

Yeah thats a good idea about the sound deadening, im aiming to eventually put sound deadening throughout the car.

Yeah i was planning to grease it up, dont wanna get it stuck in there, and yeah thats what i was planning to do to work out the right size (y)

Somebody has been reading up :D

Yeah, i don't do thinks half-assed unlike some people. My only problem at the moment is that its too bloody cold to do any work outside on the car, just hovering around 0 degrees :( too chilly for me

Too chilly for FG too i would imagine.

Yeah ideally needs to be over 18 degrees, i guess that is more so that the resin actually hardens.

I would be able to do it in the kitchen, there are already a set of my alloys in there, so cant **** my dad off much more lol Do also have some heaters in the garage but would still be rather cold :(

Well if you start making it in the boot which most of the PG can be done in there then you have a much smaller and enclosed area to heat just because the whole garage isnt 18° doesnt mean that the area that you are working on isnt.

Too chilly for FG too i would imagine.

Well if you start making it in the boot which most of the PG can be done in there then you have a much smaller and enclosed area to heat just because the whole garage isnt 18° doesnt mean that the area that you are working on isnt.

Yeah true, im just lazy and hate the cold. Also that site won't start sending out orders until the 5th and this is the first week off ive had for 5 months, sadly back to work on the 5th :(

lay the area to be resined with a layer of masking tape then aluminum foil. the foil WILL become part of the fibreglass but thats fine, better than getting any of that stuff on your car.

also do a bit of searching. you should be able to find a fibreglass supplier not too far away from you. they will supply you with all you need and help you too.

Yeah i forgot about using masking tape, if you really dont fancy spending hours on end laying 1" thick layers of masking tape over such a large area then Vinyl transfer tape is pretty much the same thing but they make them bigger.

Yeah kind of i have had a look on the net and cant see anywhere. If the OP go's to a vinyl shop they should be able to tell you where to get some from.

Yeah ive got some 2" wide masking tape that i was gonna use along with a wax polish that you cant get that stops the FG sticking to the surface.

Well and truely sorted then LOL. Ill get my coat i know when im not needed :cry:

Ha ha, well you gave me the link to that site, all the help i could ask for :D

I think the people on that site are the same ones who also sell FG stuff on ebay

Back